Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hyoshim, Oct 10, 2004.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Heard a lot of good things about this bass (magazine articles). Want to hear from the guys whos actually own/used to own this bass.

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do a search... you'll find lots of love for these excellent basses, including plenty from me! :cool: :bassist:

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had a four string for a couple of years (flame maple top/alder body) and it was one of the nicest playing and sounding basses I've owned.
    I'd STILL have it today but since I'm a short guy (5'6") and have small hands, the 35" scale was a feature I could never get used to. I tried but I always felt like I had to over-extend my reach.
    That is not a design flaw, of course. I LOVED the string tension and I could get many usable tones. The Cirrus was just not a good fit for me. If they offered a 34" scale, I'd get one again.
    I sold it for money for my DP Custom... :rollno:

If you have a chance to pick one up at a good price, I'd say seriously consider it.

Jon

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Personal tastes and preferences are points you can't argue, and I know of at least one well-known pro of physical stature similar to mine (and teacherguy's) who feels that 35" scale is too much, though the same guy stated that he thought the Cirrus was probably the best production bass around, upon putting mine through its paces. I have small hands, too, but the Cirrus made me a convert to 35" scale, likely for good. I know of other notable pros who are about my height (about 5'6") who play 35" scale basses.

So, by no mean do I want to say teacherguy's concerns are unwarranted - but - I wouldn't want to see anyone dismiss a 35" scale instrument out of hand (pun intended) just because they have smallish hands. Try one and judge for yourself, regardless of your stature! :)

5. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys! I did not know even the 4 string one was 35" scale. I returned Lakland 55-02 once because I could not get used to 35" scale. I think with enough pratice, and getting used to the scale would solve that issue. I'll do some search...

6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Absolutely great basses. I've owned four of them in the last several years and have loved them. For a very versatile, reliable and affordable bass, they're hard to beat! They're easy to find new or used and Peavey's customer service is fantastic too if you ever do have a problem with one.
    Just my opinion and experience of course.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    +1

:hyper:

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +2

And on the 35" scale issue that's one of the main reasons I first started looking at them (along with being Neck-Thru). I'm planning on eventually hitting a 5 or 6 string and wanted the 35" low B so I wanted to be familiar with the 35" scale already to make the transition from 4 to more a bit easier. There aren't very many 35" 4 stringers out there as far as production basses go (as opposed to customs).

9. hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    All positive sofar.. but which body wood would you guys recommend? Bubinga? Walnut? Maple? Are those are maple top onver alder?

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm pretty sure they aren't "body woods", just tops. In that case, it's really just an aesthetic choice.

Do Cirruses come fretless?

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Alder w/Maple neck and walnut/walnut neck are the main body configurations offered, I believe. The tops DO make minor differences in the sound. For instance, the bubinga-topped walnut version is reputed to have the best slap tone. Peavey did have a brochure that gave good descriptions of the sound characteristics of each wood combo. If they were smart, they'd put that info on their website... :meh:

Yeah, you can get fretless (lined) Cirrii, and IIRC, unlined fretless will be an option through the custom shop...

:)

12. I own a Maple/Adler cirrus 5 and love it, been using it as my main bass for over a year now. I highly recomend them.

and just my personal coment on the wood options, the obviously will make somewhat of a difference but not a huge one so go with what you think looks the best.

13. +3! :hyper:

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've got the Bubinga Cirrus which has a Walnut body and a Walnut/Maple Laminated Neck w/ Pao Ferro Fingerboard (I think most haf the PF board) and it has got a good slap tone!!! of course I've never spent much time with the other models to compare it to. The main reason I picked the Bubinga model was I thought the walnut version looked a bit dark and I wanted the natural wood finish rather than the glossy that the flamed woods came with.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's my maple on alder 6 string... It has a great tone!!

[​IMG]

16. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    I have been playing a bubinga/walnut natural finish for 4 years. I love it. Great tone and more versatility from the 35" scale.
    Negatives? Don't leave your cord plugged in; you'll run the battery down. Also, not as many companies make x-long scale strings. I use rotosounds.
    Got to admit, though, that to me it still doesn't have the sustain and punch of my Kramer metal-neck nor the warmth of my new Dillion '52 P-bass style. I will continue to use the Cirrus as my main bass and don't forsee wanting to change in the near future. I highly recommend it!
    Michael

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cirrus are slap machines, but also excel at fingerstyle.

Since Mark posted a pic, how can I resist?:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My next bass will DEFINITELY be a cirrus 4. Been eyeing one of these for a while, but then college hit and now im broke...

BTW Mjmorgan i hate you (aka im really really jealous...4 cirrii? your killing me here).

:)

-Chap

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I had the 5 string bubinga top'd walnut body/neck config and it was awesome. I basically traded it to try out a Pulcinella Level 5. Worst mistake I've made to date. The L5 was ok, but I still severely miss the C5. The balance, action, weight, and tone were simply second to none. Period... and if you check my gear link (below, tho now missing a couple basses *grin* ), you'll see I'm not that easily impressed.

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    That Red MTD looks terrific !!

On the Cirrus subject:
    One of the things I often read in the Cirrus posts (before buying mine) was that you enjoy it more and more, as time goes by. Was hard to believe for me, since GAS is terrible disease, but I gotta say I agree with those comments.
    I`ve also read many posts about people who sold their Cirri and then miss them a lot.
    I think that a used Cirrus is probably one of the best bang for the buck basses, period.