Peavey Cirrus - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 21, 2003.

1. I have been looking for a modern 5-string bass. I want something that is kinda opposite of my fender and G&L stuff. I am looking for a very clear and defined piano-like tone. with good clears highs and good tight bass. I got a chance to play a 4-sting once and really liked how it played. specifically I was thinking about getting one like this:

what do you think of these guys. my only concern is that I have heard from a few people that they like the basses but find the electronics to be a little weak.
  2. bass northwest also has this one, that looks pretty good. Basses/peavey_cirrus_5.htm

and I have seen another one that is going for a great price used but it is a 6-string. I am pretty much a 5-string guy now, and am not sure how I would do on a 6 though.
  3. Ahh...

Played one... it was very nice... I found the people who like them... like them alot.
  4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Do a search for Cirrus on the forums.

Pretty much nothing but good things said, even from some of our older and respected members with their multi-thousand dollar basses :)
  5. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I played a 5 string Cirrus Walnut once and absolutely freakin loved it. Great playability and tone.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So great that I bought two of them. I have two 5 strings. If you look around, you'll find pictures of mine. Anyway, the electronics are great. Real quiet. I think that the wood choice plays a big part in the sound. My two Cirri sound very different, but you can tell they come from the same family. Unique style, but consistent quality. They are my workhorses. I use one of my Cirri for every gig I go to no matter what style the music. I only use multiple basses for recordings. But they are great basses. Everyone says great things about them. Not just in Talkbass, but all over the internet. Hell, I just read in one of the other forums that this guy gave Victor Wooten his Cirrus 4 to play and after Victor Gave it back, he smiled and told the guy "Nice Bass". That aint bad coming from Wooty. Bill Dickens has wailed on them a few times too. I saw Stu Hamm use one once, and he has his own signature Fender, (probably cause he endorses Peavey Amps) LOL. Great basses, especially the 5 strings. Embellisher will rave to you about his 6 string and its a beaut. Good luck if you get a Cirrus.

7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard this too, but I don't understand it. When I first got my Cirrus I made the mistake of turning the mid knob down too much, and (surprise surprise) the bass didn't cut through the mix at all. Having learned my lesson and leaving the three tone knobs about flat, I practically *own* the mix in my loud, two guitar, classic rock cover band. So, maybe these folks are seeing/looking for some quality I just don't grok, but I don't really see where 'weak' is an adjective that applies to the Cirrus.

Just my 2¢, of course...

8. thanks, I found a place relatively close to me that carries them in stock so I am going to head over and give some a try. now I just need to decide if I want a 5-string or 6-string.
  9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The Cirrus is definatly worth it. I've had one for 5 years and have loved it the whole time... it's very versitile. Go for it.
  10. Graphite headstock overlay? Coooool!
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm kinda partial to a quilt headstock overlay.:D

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have not found the electronics in my Cirrus to be weak at all.

The variety, flexibility and overall sound of the pickups in my Cirrus are better than the Barts in my Pedulla Rapture were. That's one of the main reason that I sold the Rapture, because the Cirrus sounded so much better that I didn't play the Rapture much any more.

The electronics are on par with the Bart setup in my Zon, IMHO, and I would not even consider switching them out. If I did, it wouldn't sound like a Cirrus any more.
  13. even though I don't own one, I've played both of my friend's five tuned BEADG and the other tuned EADGC and then a 6 string at Sam Ash.......they are definitely great instruments, and the price\quality ratio is great.

I honestly don't understand why I haven't purchased one......heh:meh:
  14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I don't own a Cirrus but I've played several and they are terrific basses. I DO own a Peavey G-bass and a Millennium and they are tone machines as well. The better Peavey basses will rock your world!
  15. me too
  16. DavidD

Aug 21, 2003
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I own a sweet Peavey Cirrus 5 string, and let me tell ya, Ya gotta try one out, I love it, I plug straight in the recording board and WELLA !!! Great recording bass, as well as on stage bass, its got 18volts of Pump !!! And it puts out them lows and highs with incredible sustain !
    All I can say to Peavey is that they didnt go wrong in creating the Cirrus models !!!
    It was about time they used professional bass players to assist in the design and creation of these beautiful basses !!! I will never sell mine, and I have other basses to compare (Rickenbacker, Fender Jazz, & Ibanez )

Just try them out at your local Peavey Dealer !

Sincerely, DavidD:bassist:
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everybody loves Cirrus basses. Higher end made in USA Peavey Basses are fantastic.
  18. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They're good for the money. Nice body design, hardware, woods and very quiet, hi-fi electronics.

Though I've heard reports about the body lams separating on the satin finished ones, and there was some evidence of this in the specimens I've tried in person.