Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Feb 17, 2004.

1. I am thinking about getting a used Cirrus. What would be the best wood for slapping,r&b? Where can I get one? I have heard the 4s can be bought for 450.00,500.00,550.00.
  2. I'm not sure about the body, I have heard good things about bubinga for slapping, but I'll always be a claro walnut fan.

However, I have always reccommended maple fretboard for slapping.

check ebay for used cirri; I see them all the time there.
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The bubinga top model comes with a walnut body and I, too have heard that it's the best for slap, though I've never gotten my hands on one. The slap tone has been *great* on all of the wood combos I've tried, though, so if you have to "settle" for another wood combo, you're not making a big sacrifice by any means... I would expect the walnut bodied ones to be a bit warmer sounding, though... :)
  4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree on the Maple Fretboard choice.
    It`s supposed to have a snappy sound, with well defined highs.
    The ones with darker, heavier woods (walnut, bubinga) are supposed to have
    more bottom end and not so crisp highs.
    OTOH, Redwood, Maple and Peacock Blue have a brighter sound.

I`ve bought mine used for U$S 650 (shipping incl.) and have seen them for $550 or so on Ebay. You just gotta be patient until one shows up.

Good luck

5. I'm not really into slapping, but just wanted to say that I put a Cirrus 5 walnut through its paces yesterday at Sam Ash - WHAT A BASS!
    Incredible B string.
    Now I know what people have been talking about. The only thing was the price: $1479.

I know I can get them down a bit, but probably just enough to offset the tax. I almost took it home, but since I didn't want to jump too quickly, I told myself to wait until Saturday.

Those thin bodies - mmmmm! :hyper:

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've got a flame maple/alder cirrus with a pao ferro fingerboard. I think the slap tone is awesome on it. I havent played TOO many of the other wood combos... I've tried the bubinga one, and I felt like the slap tone was too woody for me. IMO, if you want the most hi-fi slap sound, go with the flame maple model... a maple fingerboard on it wouldn't hurt either.
  7. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I think just about any Cirrus is a good slapper,and good all around. It will be a great choice,but finding one in that price range will probably be difficult. -Luke
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It depends completely on your personal preferences. My walnut/bubinga has a very sharp treble and a bump in the low mids. The alder-bodied ones I've heard have a more mellow and "balanced" tone, with less prominent highs and a slower attack, but that doesn't mean it's worse suited for slapping - personally, I tend to favour that sound more nowadays (the grass is greener?). I'm yet to hear a maple-bodied one, my guess is that it'd have the same sharp treble as mine but less of the low-mid bump.