Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jul 20, 2001.

1. yikes, I've got a new case of GAS! I now want to get rid of my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz and buy a Peavey Cirrus 5. What do you think? Am I crazy? I love the sound and feel of this bass, and the 35" scale really tightens things up. I did notice, however, in the store that I couldn't seem to get the treble "too" high, almost not enough for modern slap. Has anyone else noticed this?

What are your opinions?

2. Knukklhead

Knukklhead

Dec 28, 2000
    I've got a Cirrus 4 string and have noticed the same thing. The high end is really smooth, but I'm always trying to squeez a bit more out of it. I love the bass though........plays great!

3. Knukklhead

Knukklhead

Dec 28, 2000
    Oops....forgot to add that I had a Marcus Miller bass and loved it......if I had it to do over, I'd probably kept the Marcus Miller bass. Scott

4. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I've owned a cirrus 6 for about 2 months now and it is one of my favorite playing and sounding basses. The neck is really comfortable for my hands. You can't go wrong buying one (unless you have to sell your car to do it and then have no way to get to the gig). I haven't played the Marcus Miller Jazz so I can't compare the two.

Digs

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The treble response of the instruments will vary with the types of woods used. A walnut or bubinga topped Cirrus probably won't be as bright as the maple-topped model. If you want a bright tone, why not keep the MM Jazz? Sit on your wallet for a couple of days and see if the GAS goes away.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I seriously auditioned the Cirrus 5 and thoubght it was a great bass.Good tone (treble end was fine to me) and good playability. In the end I bought a Fender Roscoe Beck instead but the Peavey was great value for the money IMO.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    if you can get the bass with a maple fingerboard, that would improve the high end, right? Thats what I would do.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It should make ita little brighter, but I don't think that Peavey offers a maple fingerboard as an option on the Cirrus.

The wenge/walnut one should be pretty bright too.

9. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
  10. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    I'm not so sure I would want the maple neck on my maple/alder 5 string. I roll the treble all the way off on the onboard EQ and it still sounds like too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a low end mud monster. I love the sound of a Ricky and Chris Squire is a main influence. I can't stand the sound of flat wounds, nor the feel. My amp settings do not boost any treble, either.

Maybe I got a brighter than normal Cirrus.

11. I ended up buying a 4-string Cirrus, maple/alder with pao ferro fingerboard. Man, I just loved the sound of this in the store and didn't want to chance buying an instrument that I hadn't first held. I got it new for $ 800, it was a demo. Hard case and all.

As for brightness, it's plenty bright, but not too much. It just sounds ALIVE!! It's a beautiful playing and sounding bass. I love the look of my Marcus Miller a little better, but on to eBay it goes so I can pay for the Cirrus. Look for it there in a couple of days if you're interested in Marcus Miller.

12. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    peavey cirrus's rule you'll love them

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, Mark!

I will soon be a member of the Cirrus bass owners club myself.

If all goes well, I should be the proud owner of a Cirrus 6 in a few days.:)

14. the Cirrus bass owners club ????