Peavey Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b0nes83, Dec 14, 2000.

1. b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    has anyone ever played this bass? if so what are its pros/cons? peace
  2. Cirrus

Cirrus Guest

Apr 30, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    I like them a lot, I have 2 of them. They have a good overall tone, great action, look nice, have great electronics, and the real selling point for me, a nice thin neck. They also have this amazing habit of staying in tune for ages. The more I play them, the more I like them.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent basses. I don't own one.
  4. I couldn't be happier with my Cirrus. I bought a fretless six-string Cirrus this summer, and it has yet to dissapoint. I really like the slim and comfortable neck, the excellent balance and light weight of the bass, the fast and comfortable action, and the phenomenal clarity and sustain of virtually every note (especially on the low B string).

I have found one (only one) area where I find the Cirruses to be slightly lacking - the electronics. They are very quiet and put out a very strong (18V) signal that my amp and any mixer/P.A. system loves. However, I cannot shake the notion that the pickups are just slightly lacking in the warmth department. To their credit, the electronics are quite flexible and respond very well to different attacks and right-hand nuances. I tend to think that a sweepable midrange control (which is available on the very impressive Millenium series) could go a long way towards improving this issue; the stock mid sweep frequency "honks" a bit to my ears. I have often toyed with the notion of keeping the stock pickups and replacing the controls with EMG or Bartolini electronics; possibly including the Aguilar onboard preamp to warm things up a bit.

The last paragraph notwithstanding, I love this bass. I get curious and skeptical looks from other players every time I take this bass out of the bag. Those skeptical looks invariably turn to compliments within minutes of playing the bass, and hearing that strong, full sound in the P.A. doesn't hurt either. I told Peavey which wood combination I wanted (walnut/wenge) and that I wanted a fretless. Three weeks later, I received a beautifully setup, well-constructed bass in a top-notch molded hard case. All for $1,200 (USD). I've not found a better value or a more comfortable and rewarding bass at any price. All I want is the fretted version (and to try my electronics ideas).

I sure hope that eBay bidder enjoys my old Warwick - I just don't want the damn thing anymore!
  5. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    There is a new Cirrus model, the quilt top/Tiger eye, which does have the mid sweep control. So far, that feature is only offered on this model, but it may be offered as an option someday.

The Cirrus is a very "midrangy" instrument. To me the Redwood/Alder is a little warmer sounding than the Wenge/Walnut. But I agree that the electronics have the most to do with the sound. I kind of like the mid presence. It really cuts though very well live.
  6. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I test drove a Cirrus 5 and found it to be very nice. For the money it would be hard to beat.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I played several Cirrus' yesterday, they are very well crafted basses for the price, but the shallow V profile on my Pedulla has got me spoiled.

The necks(U shaped) on the Cirrus series just feel to chunky to me.

Great prices though, although the electronics fit that Yamaha and Carvin criticism, kinda 'generic' sounding.

There I go again, spoiled by the Pedulla's Barts.

If I had found a Cirrus with the woods that I wanted before I happened upon the great deal on the Rapture, I am pretty sure that I would have wound up with a Cirrus.
  8. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Pro's; Great bass! Con's; None!

9. I tried a 4 string a few months ago. Nice quilt maple, good finish. I played it and my did a slack-jawed "Buckwheat" look. It sounded realllllllly good. Darn' good bang for the buck.
  10. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    They look great! Feel better! and sound very good. Excellent "bang for the buck"
  11. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    The Cirrus is the easiest-to-play bass I've ever played. The neck is super thin, but somewhat wide, its great. The bass is super-light and you can dial in all sorts of tones with the 3 band eq and pot pan between the pickups. I think a Cirrus will be the next bass I buy. Does anyone know which wood combination is best? There are quite a few...