1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey classic 100 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ron_a218, Apr 12, 2006.

1. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Could this guitar head work for use as a bass amp? Would it have to be modded? Just looking for a small tube head for practice and small gigs. I use a classic 30 for guitar and love it since I put in JJ tubes and an eminence Texas heat speaker and wondered if the big brother would work for bass. Thanks, you guys are a wealth of information! Ron A

2. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Any ideas?

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It will work fine, as long as you're not expecting tons of clean headroom. They are great amps though. My guitarist has a Classic 50/410, and it sounds amazing.

4. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Anybody else played bass thru one of these heads, seems like it might make a cool practice amp. Any of you tube amp guys, would it need to be modified to get a good bass sound? Thanks, Ron A

5. I used to own one. Headroom on guitar wasn't all that much...for bass, forget about it. It also isn't a very stout sounding amp...not a ton of low end or overall girth to be had. I'd say it would make a pretty lousy bass amp. But that's just me.

-Nick

6. I dont know how it would sound

Ive run the effects send of my Classic 30 into my SVT through my bass cabs and it still sounded sucky for bass tho (and im pretty sure its voiced pretty much the same as the Classic 100), but damn was i loving 300 tube watts of guitar :D

7. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks, you just saved me a 100 mile drive to try one. That's some bucks nowdays! Ron A

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Not well.

Preamp viocing too high.