Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Classic 400 - Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SubMonkey, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Anyone know how much these are going for in real world dollars ?

There's one up for grabs on EvilBay and I'm wondering if I should throw my hard earned dollars at it, or if I should just hold out a while longer for an SVT/Eden/Mesa or one of the "Big Name" 300+ watt tube heads....

Any thoughts on quality and tone on this specific are very definitely welcome... (provided we're still discussing this specific unit... I'm not concerned with how a circa 1985 115 solid-state Peavey bass combo compares with a vintage SVT :) )

SM

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    One word discribes the Classic 400 in my opinion, outstanding!

If it hasn't already been done all you need to do is change the 6550 power tubes from the chearp Chinese Coke Bottle tubes to some good ones. There are a number of brands that will fit perfectly and sound awesome. I won't go there because everyone has their own opinions on tube manufacturers.

You do not need to change the 6 pre-amp tubes.

Be prepared for a heavy haul at 97 lbs.

Here's a copy from the Peavey catalog featuring the Classic 400's many features.

Enjoy.

TD

[​IMG]

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    be prepared to fight for that on e-bay. peavey didnt make too many "sought after" iems, but that unit and the dual channel mic preamp and dual channel compressor are a few of those gems.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Low Down Just had one, pretty sweet, I'm to old to haul 97 lbs. though!! Theres went for 799 I beleive, hope that helps as far as pricing. I like the Mesa better, but not 500$ better. If you can get it priced right, go for it! Remember in comparing prices Mesa's have been arround a lot longer , at least 10 years longer, there are some pretty beat up Mesa's out there! I have no Idea how much bud light it takes to mess them up but the Classics I've seen were all pretty clean.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its a decent amp overall, but for the price it is a great deal! The sound quality is good and tubey, but many other tube amps have better tone. For the cash this is a great amp, I say try to get it and you can sell it later for the same amount you paid for it (or maybe more) and get a different head such as a 400+ or a vintage SVT. Someone once offered me one for $600.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

Peavey built an incredible all tube monster for a market that wasn't there (just like Aguilar has axed there 400watt tube beast). I plan on using my current rig till the end of my days.

You say it's on eBay? all I've seen are the old SS Series 400 no Classic 400. (I'm not in the market for another, I just watch eBay for them :bassist: )

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I got mine for $350 delivered most of the way... I put $240 worth of tubes in it.

8. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    James, I noticed in one of the photos at your page that you dont have the shields installed on your preamp tubes. Was this intentional ? Is there a benefit/drawback to running them that way ?

SM

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Because it looks Cooler :cool:
    [​IMG]

The guy I bought it from did that because he liked the cool glow :smug: I have to agree!

I need to take some new shots. I've got the mesh back in place with a small "non lightning bolt" Peavey badge added.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    expect around 450-500. Actually, I have to admit this is one great sounding Peavey! I have great tube amps but seriously thought about buying one recently. What held me from doing that is this thing is HEAVY!!

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    That's this amps only drawback. At 97 lbs it's a heavy pig. But it sure as hell is solid.

James, I like the look of your amp with the front Peavey logo plate removed and the metal grill put in its place. Very cool.

It's gotta help keep the air circulating around those eight KT88's you put in there.

TD

12. Ya, Where is this on the Evilbay?

-Vince

13. Are these something old or new? It's name is "classic 400" so it would make sense to me if it was a reissue or something. Are these still in production?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think they discontinued the line, not enough demand.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    "Classic" is Peavey's name for the vintage styled tube amps. 400 is the wattage. They make (for guitar) a Classic 30 and Classic 50 currently.

The Bass rig was short lived and no they don't make them any more :(

Thanks! I bought it with both. I knew I wanted the metal, but it was delivered the way you see it in the first shot. I replaced the wood piece after I got the new tubes installed.

Submonkey:
    I would most likely ditch mine if a Trace Elliot V8 fell my way. I'd love to try the 400 watt all tube Aguilar and Demeter some day... but the Peavey has a great deal of 3D articulation and clean headroom, it also can get down right bad a$$ed nasty when you dig in. It gives me my Hifi AND grunt :bassist: :bassist: .

[edit a few more months in] I will own some other tube heads someday, but the Classic 400 is a keeper for me.[/edit]

16. I might get a Peavey Classic 400 soon. Any idea what the new price was, in Europe?

Some questions for you, classic 400 owners:
    • how does the footswitch work? (channels/combine?)
    • how would the sound compare to an overdriven ampeg svt-3 pro (my current amp).

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    3 buttons 1.) Select 2.) Combine 3.) FX Loop

I can't really comment on the price or the SVT 3. It does have a cool bite to it though.

18. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Currently I run a fairly clean signal to my amp's main input and a grit-nasty signal into my effect return using an effects mix to balance the two.... I very much like the idea of a head that is able to do this without any outboard gear and all tube to boot... yeah, baby... :bassist:

19. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, I found another one... signed sealed and delivered, I am the proud owner of 400 watts of american made tube goodness... So, what does that mean to all you good folks at TalkBass ?

well here's the scoop... The E-bay auction I mentioned has a really bad item title, the correct model name doesn't appear anywhere in it (and I don't think in the description either). So I had planned on sitting back and snagging what I believe to be a realtively unwatched item at the last minute... Since I've laid my hands on another one I'll gladly give up the goods.

I do understand that it's bad juju to post an auction here (even if it's not mine), but if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.. 2 days left as of this post...

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    w00t!

Congrats!!!

:hyper:

What cabinets will you run with yours?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.