1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Classic 400 paired w/Markbass Classic 152

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geezerjpj, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I'm calling for a lot of speculation here.

Do you think my Classic 400 head would sound good paired with a Markbass Classic 152?

I've owned 2x15 cabs before but never one with NEOs and never one that's ported.
    I like vintage tone...modern is a bad word in my book. Could I dial in a deep fat tone with a decent amount of articulation but not clacky?

I play a 75 Rick 4001 w TI flats with a pick...I play riffy bass driven garagey rock tinged w/a dose of punk and psychedelia. And loud!

I love the Classic 400 but man is it heavy. I've been running it with an Avatar NEO 212 and an SWR Big Ben. The Avatar died my last gig(haven't trouble shot it yet, leaning towards crossover having gone) and the Big Ben couldn't seem to handle the output of the Classic 400 very well esp after I retubed it w/JJ KT88s(that speaker is jumping around a lot)

I am in New York and am carless so economy of size and weight are considerations hence why I'm looking at the MArkbass. I'm also 43 and while I'm in shape(I walk dogs for a living and used to do marathons), I'm average size/build at 6'0" and 175 lbs
    http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=92
    The local Guitar Center doesn't have one otherwise I'd try it w/ an SVT Classic.

I'm ready to take a shot and order one as even if I didn't like it I could probably flip it w/o much loss as Markbass stuff tends to hold its value well.

Thoughts?

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    car-less and giging with a Classic 400 ? :eek::eek:

thou I haven't gig with a Classic 400, I tried it at a friend's home and it is insanely powerful. I do not think any 2-woofer combo can handle the out-put if pushed. 412 or 315 maybe, best would be 810 if you want to crank it.

you said you like vintage tone, but the avatar 212 and the bigben are not very "vintage" at all in my book. Am I confusing what you are saying?

the NV Berg cab are widely know to pair well with tube heads and have that elusive "vintage" tone down to the T, but then they are neither modular nor very portable for car-less musicians ...

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Not sure if I can help at all with the MB question, but with a tube head, I think you'd be missing out if you didn't give it a spin with a Bergantino NV cabinet. They look to be of similar size to the MB, but heavier, albeit not tremendously so.

My SVT through a Berg NV412 is heaven!