Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Classic 400 - Psycho?(Or anybody else)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Sep 29, 2000.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I still haven't decided on a head, but I ran across 2 of these.

Both are NOS, one is tweed, the other is black carpet.

I have several questions:

[*] What is a reasonable price for these? They are NOS, have full warranty, the tweed I would guess is late 97 or early 98, the black is 98 or early 99.
    [*] Is there any difference other than cosmetic between the tweed and black models?
    [*] Psycho, you have reviewed this model twice, the first time you gave it better marks than just about any other new production tube amp, the other time you retracted your original review and said that the amp was junk. Has this opinion changed at all?
    [*] Has anybody else(other than Psycho) played one of these? If so, what did you think?

Thanks, everybody!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own a Classic 400. Bought it close to a year ago as NOS. I also bought it without hearing it or playing through it. Before I bought it, I downloaded a copy of the Classic 400 owners manual from the Peavey.com site. I checked the specs, features, etc and decided to go for it. Having owned many tube amps in the past I knew that I could always have the amp tweeked if it needed it (unlike soild state).
    The only complaint about this amp that I have is that it weights 97 pounds and ships from the factory with cheap "coke bottle" Chinese tubes. The 5 pre-amp ones are fine, but the eight 6550A power tubes MUST be replaced asap.
    I replaced mine with Sovtek 6550WE and re-biased the amp. When we re-biased it, the meter was reading 445 watts RMS, and the tubes were running cool!
    I've gigged with my Classic 400 and two Peavey 410TX cabinets every week since I bought the amp, and it hasn't failed me yet. It's a solid amp. I'm glad that I bought it when I had the chance.
    FYI, it cost me $845.00 US and the only difference between the tweed and the black (like mine) is cosmetic.
    If you know where one or two C-400's are available for sale please tell me, because I know a number of other guys who want to buy one but just can't find them for sale.
    Cheers

3. embellisher

Thanks for the info, bassman!

The 2 I've found are at independent dealers in Fort Worth, Texas, but the best price I've been able to negotiate so far is $1249 for the tweed(I haven't been able to talk to the owner of the stoer yet) and $1200 for the black.

If I could get them down to $899 for the tweed, based on your comments, I would buy it. Don;t know if that's possible though.

And if I were to buy the tweed, where on earth would I be able to find tweed cabinets for it?

Psycho, you out there? Any comments?

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I saw a Tweed Classic 400 not too long ago up for auction on Ebay. It didn't met the reserve, and I think the highest bid was around $415.00 You might want to check Ebay under the Peavey completed items (search) and see if it's still listed on their system. You could contact the seller (store) and see if it's available or not.
    Good luck
    Cheers

5. embellisher

Thanks for the info, Psycho.

6. youngmanhood

youngmanhood

Dec 13, 2009
    Bumping this because I may pick one of these up on craigslist as a duel package with an 810 and wondering how this head stacked up to the SVT-CL?

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ

Aguliar DB ?

I think this Peavey is a great head.

8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    [​IMG]