Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Classic 400 tube amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I was just curious about something regarding the Peavey Classic 400 head. I've seen two versions of this amp, one with the straightforward, italicized "Peavey" logo and the other with the more stylized, "flashy"-looking "Peavey" logo. From what I've read, this amp was only produced from the winter of 1997 to sometime in 98 or 99. So did this amp just happen to be in production when the company revised their logo (so it's just the exact same amp with a different logo,) or were there two different versions or production runs of this amp?

If there are two different versions, what is the difference between the two, and which would you consider "better"?

2. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    They are the same. The Classic 400 was being manufactured during the "transition" from the old "Lightning Bolt" log to the block style logo.

Some marketing type at the time was convinced that Peavey needed to update it. Hartley hated the new one by the way, so Peavey has now reverted back to the Lightning Bolt style.

Other than the logo there was no difference. The Classic 400 was also offered in two different coverings, black carpet or yellow tweed-look tolex.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've heard from several sources that Hartley designed the "Lightning Bolt" logo himself.