1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Classic 400 vs Fender Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Apr 30, 2006.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I have narrowed it down to these 2. I have played both but can't do a side by side comparison. The Fender is much lighter. I'd like input from people who have used both. I have used the search function and have read info on both. Maybe someone here owns or has used both and or could give me some more info. Thanks

2. Never played either, but from what I've heard, the Fender is better sounding, and the weight savings is another big plus. I think it's like 30 pounds less!

If you are considering the Peavey just because it has more watts, be assured that both of these will get painfully loud. Everybody who owns these say that they've never turned them past 3 volume wise.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I love how people with ZERO first hand knowlege plant seads of misimformation :rolleyes:

I've never A/Bed them together but have spent a little time on the Sunn branded version of the Fender 300 a while back... Both are nice amps.

As far as which I like better.... have you seen my website?

http://www.classic400.com

loaded with JAN Phillips & Electro-Harmonix preamp tubes and Sovtek KT-88 it sings to the point that I have no Amp GAS :bassist:

4. :(

Just trying to help, man.

5. Some experience with both, never at the same time. Preferred the Fender. On both, the "distortion" channel wasn't really all that great, and needed ot be mixed with a clean sound. The PV clean channel could get a decent distorted sound though. Probably more flexibility in the Fender, and the compressor is better. The Fender should be easily as loud as the PV, and will go to 2 ohms. Sure, u could make a trick cable to run 2 4 ohm cabs as an 8 ohm load for the PV, but with the Fender you wouldn't have to. Which one sounded better to you? The Fender's still pretty darn heavy. I'd consider which one sounded better to me and cost as the biggest factors.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Yes James....I've seen your website. LOL....Honestly I liked the sound of both, the Peavey seemed to have a more dynamic EQ and to be more versitle but once I get the tone I like don't mess with eq very much, I prefer to set my amp and leave it, if any adjustments are needed i use the bass and treble control on my bass. The only time i touch the amps eq is if more mids are required. I liked the sound of both and They are both plenty loud. I'd like to have the Peavey only because I use (and love the sound of) peavey black widow 15s (2 of them), but the fender is much lighterand sounds just as good (to me). The fact that the Fender does 2ohms is another plus. my 2 15s stack up about chest high. throwing a classic 400 up there might be tough

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tube amps have a fixed output.... the transformer has taps for different ohms levels..

The Classic 400 puts out 400 watts @ 4 ohms and 8 ohms.
    the Fender puts out 300 watts @ 2 ohms, 4 ohms and 8 ohms.

but yes, the output of each is VERY loud.

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I just have one question... Where did you find a Classic 400? If I came across one, I'd be buying it simply because they are so hard to find now days... as long as it is in good shape... and I think they sound just fine... ;)

9. I have owned both. The Peavey is a MUCH better amp. It's louder, has better tone, and is far more reliable. It is heavier, but so what? The Fender is no lightweight anyway. I still have the Peavey; the Sunn is long gone.

10. Although I normally agree with Psycho, whwn it comes to this amp we have very different opinions.

I love my 300 PRO, very flexible and enough low end for any situation. The graphic eq is very handy, I can go from vintage to hi fi witha press of a button. I have yet to find a cab that can handle this amp past 4.5 or 5. I have tried the ampeg 610, avatar 212, yorkville 410, Acoustic 215 and ampeg 810. Its pretty loud at 3 and I can't imagine a situation where you would need to push the amp past 4, but if you do then 2 cabs are a must. As for the distortion channel I changed the V2 pre amp tube to a Telefunken 12ax7 that I found in a friend's basement and it smoothed everything out very nicely. Also tried a Mullard 12at7 in V2 and that was sweet too but not enough dirt for my needs. I have yet to try any JJ tubes in there, but I was not a fan of the EH 12ax7. Sounds good clean but got too fuzzy on the distortion channel.

PS. there was a very subltle diffrence between replacing the tube in V2 vs V1, it seems that both channels are cascaded through all the pream tubes, it was mostly trial and error to end up with my current setup.

amp.

11. Sorry but i think psycho's comments are more valid in this because he was actually compairing the two amps side by side :p

Surely any cab rated over 300 watts should handle your amp?

12. I only disagree on the fact the he does not like the tone of the Sunn/Fender. I have no idea if it is louder than the Peavey, but just that it is loud. In my experience, with everything flat, every cab i tried farted out at about 4.5 or 5 on the master volume with the clean gain channel set at 6.5 or 7.

13. Here's my important distinction: while you may not be able to turn your Bassman 300 past '5' on its master volume, what you're hearing is not the speakers being overpowered; you're hearing distortion from the output section having very poor damping and the amp essentially becomes a fuzz pedal. Compared to other big tube bass amps, the Peavey does so as well, BUT it has a far larger, louder usable range where it remains 'clean.' The Peavey hold its clean tone to higher volume.

In addition, I found the Sunn/Fender's EQ to be poor and I HATE that awful split band compressor. On paper, the Bassman should be a phenomenal amp, but my experience with several of those amps OTHER than the Sunn 300T I owned was pretty much the same across the board except my amp didn't catch fire like the ones I tried out in stores when it was first introduced.

14. That may be true, but with 2 ampeg 810s with the same settings I got no speaker distortion at all. in fact the amp stayed clean right up to 8.

BTW i tried this outside at a friend's cottage. The people across the lake were not impressed:bassist:

15. He never said that it had a bad tone, he said the peavey has a better tone, which you cant disagree with because you havent tried both!

16. He has not said that in this thread but he has in the past (something along the lines of it having an annoying hi-mid voicing)....I said nothing about comparing the peavey to my amp. All I said was that I like the tone of my amp.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If that is his personal preference, how can you disagree with that? Your preferences may vary, but Psycho is entitled to his own preferences. The only person who could "disagree" with him on that would be his split personalities. ;)

Tom.

18. So it isnt just a clever name?

(to quote waynes world)

19. OK so what i maybe should have said is that generally we have similiar prefrences, just not when it comes this amp...

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks. :)

Tom.