Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Classic 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thathatman, Dec 8, 2004.

1. thathatman

thathatman

Sep 17, 2002
    La Mirada, CA
    I found a picture of this amp in the "show your amps" thread and I have been able to find out no information about it, save a few traditionally incoherent harmonycentral reviews and the rather brief manual on the peavey website.
    Anyone have any experience with one? It sure looks sweet and the concept is interesting. (all-tube, dual channel, weighs a metric ton)
    Thanks!

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

This is a bass amp, right? IF that's the case, I think James Hart is playing one. Be willing to bet someone else chimes in on it.

dcr

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    *spidey sense tingling*

:ninja:

I just got mine from a fellow TBer without tubes and have only loaded it with some beat tubes my tech had laying around.... so my opinion on tone isn't legit. I'm hoping to have it tubed and tuned up mid Jan. Expect a full review shortly after that :bassist:

They were made in the late 90s and came in Black or Tweed.

There are a few of us with them here on TB.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I own a Classic 400. Bought it new 5 years ago. First thing I did was replace the cheap Chinese 6550 coke bottle power tubes with good ones. I left the preamp tubes alone (for now).
    This amp has no solid state components, just pure tube!

It has two channels, one clean and the other crunch. You can switch between them of combine both together by using a footswitch or a push button on the face of the control panel.

When I rebiased the amp (after I installed the new 6550WE tubes) the meter was reading 443 watts RMS output power.

The Classic 400 is a great amp in my opinion. I've never had any problems with it, and it's built like a brick craphouse.
    All point to point soldering and two huge power transformers, which helps account for the 93.5 pounds of weight.

Great tone! There are independant tone and EQ controls for both channels. Output impedance is switchable between 4 and 8 ohms only. This amp does not support a 2 ohm load.

I was using two 410 cabs stacked for a number of years but decided to upgrade to one high end 410 cab last year to make transporting my rig around a lot easier.

I've seen a few Classic 400's sell for very inexpensive prices recently on Ebay recently. So great deals on these can be had.

This is my Classic 400 with my old cabs.
    [​IMG]

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    GREAT AMP!! A poor man's SVT (until you need to replace tubes!). Great overdrive channel

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Well since the pictures came out
    :smug:

[​IMG]

Hey Thornton, what cabinet to you switch to? I'm running 2 4ohm cabinets in series for an 8 ohm load (lovely thing about tubes is power output isn't reduced by increased ohms!)

I'm waiting on 2 JAN, 2 EHX and a JJ 12AX7 as well as an EHX 12AT7 currently.... then I need to get to getting my matched octet of Sovtek KT88 and I should be set for a good few years. I've been told that besides being a tank... ithe Classic 400 is easy on tubes.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    As I mentioned, I changed my tubes 5 years ago. I don't ever expect to have to change them again. If you take care of them they'll last you 20-25 yrs. Just make sure you give the amp 3-5 mins to warm up (in standby mode) before you start playing and giving it 5 mins to cool down (again in standby mode) everytime before shutting off the power.

I'm now using a Peavey Pro 410 (8 ohm load) cabinet. I can add another 8 ohm cab if I ever need to (again) in the future. But I know I won't, because this combination is killer!

TD

:cool:

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    If'n I had the bucks I wouldn't have posted ;)
    I'd just snipe it at the end.

10. Hey JH,

I haven't forgotten to take pics of mine. I should have some after the weekend.

Jeff

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know if you can defeat the fan on these amps? If not, how loud is that sucker (the fan, that is :D)?

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Can't remember if the fan can be switched off, with all those tubes I wouldn't want to unless I was using the amp as a stove. The fan on my old (James' current) C-400 was a little loud when first powered on compared to some fans, then levelled out, but quiet on the cosmic scale of things. I mean, if you're using this head, a tiny bit of fan noise isn't really going to be an issue, if you've cabs that can handle this beast you're likely to be knocking the walls down.

I miss the fan sound actually. It wasn't really noise, almost musical to my ears... starting the head up in a silent room, the fan made a sound that reminded me of the opening to Deep Purple's "Fireball." If anyone knows what I'm talking about there.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    no switch that I see... although it's a standard fan, $2.50 worth of a switch and you could defeat it though.

like Fealach said, with all the tubes in it, I don't think I'd want too.