Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Classic 400B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkster, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I just put one of these 400 watt all tube monsters on layaway as my Xmas present to myself.
    I tried this amp out for a hour a few nights ago and man oh man this thing rocked!
    I A/B'd it with a new Ampeg SVT classic and the PV blew it totaly away in tone and noise, and I love the crunch channel.
    8 6550's, 5 12ax7's, 1 12at7. Anybody play through one of these goliaths that can tell me a little about it? What speaker configuration works best,
    I played it through a 4 10TVX cab and I played it through the 8 10TVX I liked them both but I think I'm gonna go with the 810.
    This is going to be my Rehearsal and studio rig My Eden is still my gig rig.

2. Boafamily

Boafamily

Jun 6, 2002
    I have this same head and you can't find a bad speaker combination IMO...

I used a 210 TXF and 115 BWBW together, but it will work just as well with two each of the above speaker combination!!!

I started out just using the one 210 TXF at home, before I added to 115 BWBW to the mix and she sounded just as smooth in crunchy, clean or combination, which is my fav…

So just go with what sounds good to you my friend!

Boafamily :cool:

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I have a Classic 400 in Black. Bought it new and love it. The only problem i've ever had was with the cheap Chinese Coke Bottle power tubes (8 x 6550's) that Peavey installed in it at the factory.
    Those tubes didn't last long. I replaced them with a new set of Sovtek 6550WE power tubes and haven't had a problem since. The stock Peavey pre-amp tubes are fine.
    You must make sure to have the amp rebiased when you install new power tubes in it.
    I run my amp into two Peavey 410TX 8 ohm cabs. This way I can take one cab if the gig is smaller and don't have to worry about lugging a 810TX cab around.
    Recently I have been considering selling my Classic 400 because of the weight factor and downsizing my rig. But know one has offered to take it off my hands, so i'm just as happy to keep it. The thing is built like a tank.
    You won't be sorry you bought one.
    I wish I could do a side by side amp comparison between a SVT and a Classic 400. That would be very interesting!
    Cheers,
    JC

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Thanks guy's.
    It is built like a tank, and it sounded better (IMO) than the new Ampeg SVT Classic at a 1/4 of the price.