Peavey Classic!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Yeah . . . well, this is as close as im getting to a 400 anytime soon :rolleyes:

2. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Classic 30's are great for the money. IMHO, They are one of the best value tube amps for guitar out there. Great crunch.

Mine makes for a nice secondary amp to my main rig. Righ next to my Trace Boxer 30 (another great small amp for the money) in my room.
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah I like them too :).
  4. i have the classic 50 212. the classic 30 distorts a little easier at low volumes, so it's got a different vibe to it altogether. both great amps.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been thinking about getting a Delta Blues (Classic 30 with a 15" speaker). What I'd like to give a spin is the Classic 30 head. Not sure it ever hit the market though.
  6. I have a Delta Blues, but the 2x10 model... talk about Marshall-esque breakup! It rocks! Plus it has tremolo built right in.

Not very budget friendly, but Peavey's new head - Penta -- now, that is some serious guitar tube tones. :bassist:
  7. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I have a Delta Blues 30-watt with a 15" speaker. I play some guitar... I have a Fender 'California' Strat... it's that 'vanilla' color. I don't consider myself as very good on little guitar... don't have any dazzling lead chops, but I can play most of the chords, so I guess you could call me a 'rhythm' guitar player. However, our guitar player is pretty darn good. He has a 100-watt Marshall, and a couple of other amps, but he really likes to play through my Peavey. He makes that Delta Blues sing... ;)
  8. Great amp. One of the guitarists I play with regularly uses one, sometimes with a second 12 extention cab. I know a guy who plays steel through 2 Classic 30s in stereo; very non-trad for a instrument that usually uses a SS 200 to 300 watt amp with a single 15. Be happy.
  9. At the place i used to practice they had a peavey classic head, im sure it was a 50 watt one tho

I was looking at the delta blues one and the classic 50 too, i put down to thinking the classic 50 would just be a louder version of the 30 with a few more controls, didnt think about the breakup, altho i love the breakup on the 30, its great!

I didnt think a 15 would be too good for me, however, i wonder what the classic 50 4/10 is like, would have been complete overkill for what i need (small bedroom practice amp, and the classic 30 is probably overkill for that too, but i wanted all valve, and i love it!)
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Those Peavey Classics are great. I've played with a few guitarists that use them, and they sound just awesome. If I ever upgrade from the crappy Fender practice amp I have for my Strat, I would get a Peavey Classic! Great tone for not a lot of money.
  11. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The Peavey Classic 50 410 and Delta Blues 115 are my favorite Peavey amps!

Bass too...with mods. Let's just say it's a work in progress ;)
  12. It still has the stock peavey tubes, ive spoken with bob at eurotubes already about getting some replacements, just need to check if i can afford it!

One thing im wondering is, will it make a big difference? (it currently has the stock peavey tubes)
  13. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I don't know anything about Eurotubes.

I would be very careful about replacing the preamp tubes in the Classic 30. Due to the design, Peavey has to carefully select preamp tubes to avoid microphonic squeals. Certain grades of 12AX7s are used in certain spots on some Classic 30s to avoid squeals. If it has the Sovtek EL84s, I would just keep them as long as they last. They are good tubes.

Many a time, Peavey amps come into service with "upgrade" tubes, and the fix for the amp is simply putting the stock tubes back in.
  14. Hmm, the power tubes are definatly getting replaced at least, they are all a bit rattly, altho nothing microphonic as of yet

The preamp tubes are "Peavey Super 7's", and i trust bob, the guy grades all his tubes and he knows what he's doing :)
  15. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Bob's definately a good man, very knowledgable. I just hope he continues to keep his fair prices. Very reputable dealer.

As for your power tubes rattling, mine rattle a little too, especailly when the volume's being pushed a bit when its in overdrive, just becuase its a combo. I've seen specially made protectors/holders for the tubes to help minimize the rattling. However, I don't use one so I can't comment here.

Also, the Classic 30 at higher volumes, can get a little too upper midrangey even with a warm guitar, primarily because of the EL84 tubes and the preamp's controls. I've had bad luck w/ electro-harmonix tube's in there and their slight foreward upper-mids doesn't help this. But in a different amp like my Mesa they're pretty nice.
  16. Man those Peavey amps look great.

Id kill to try out a Peavey Classic 400.
  17. BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I think you may be giving the amp and tubes too much credit. Try changing the speaker.
  18. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My brother has the delta blues. Great dirty amp.

The classic 30 head definately hit the market. I just bought one for $125 brand new from a store that went out of business and had to liquidate stock.