1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey combo 115 bass amp, plus a 4/12 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bubbas garage, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bubbas garage

bubbas garage

Jan 23, 2018
    I was at a Cash America Pawn shop in St. Louis, MO the other day. They had a Peavey combo 115 bass amp for $200, plus a 4/12 cabinet for $300. There's no identifying tags on the the 4/12 cabinet, though the pawn shop said that it's a Crate. Anyway I paid $100 for the cabinet, and amp. Can anyone give me more information on my Peavey combo 115, and maybe help me out with identifying what this 4/12 cabinet is. For example, what to look for, etc...

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Pictures will help.

3. bubbas garage

bubbas garage

Jan 23, 2018
    Here are the only pix I have of both the amp, and cabinet. I can upload more if needed.

Attached Files:

4. If the Peavey combo is a "Combo" with a capital "C", depending on the age (and generation), it's between 130 and 210 watts into a 4-ohm load (the original 15" speaker was 4-ohms). The later Combo 300 was capable of running with a 2-ohm load (the internal speaker plus and additional 4-ohm cabinet). All of the Combos were pretty stout amps. They were the long-time mainstay for many high-school Jazz bands (and some marching bands) in the 1980's and 1990's. They're heavy, but durn near bulletproof. If you mean "combo 115" in a more generic sense, it could be anything from an old 50W TNT to any number of other Peavey amps. The good news is that it's still a Peavey and probably built like a tank.

As for the Crate 4x12, it's most likely a guitar cab originally loaded with Eminence or possibly Celestion speakers. My son bought a Crate cab for $150 a while back, and it had $400 worth of Celestion G12T speakers in it.

At any rate, for $200, I think you did okay if everything functions as it should.

5. That amp is indeed 210W into the internal 4-ohm 15", 300W if you plug another 4-ohm cab into it. Good score for $100.

6. bubbas garage

bubbas garage

Jan 23, 2018
    It's a Combo 115... 210 watts rms at 4 ohms and 300 watts rms at 2 ohms. As for the cabinet, I'm thinking about selling it.

7. I'd pull one of the speakers out of the 4x12 and see what they are. Any markings on the jackplate?

8. bubbas garage

bubbas garage

Jan 23, 2018
    I don't know yet, I haven't had a chance to do surgery on it yet. I'll take a pic and post a reply. I'm really interested in finding out what I have. I'm considering on selling the 4/12 cabinet. I just don't wanna git ripped off, but don't also wanna ripp anyone else off.

9. Do the battery test to see if they all pop the same way. Should pop outwards all together when 9V is put across the speaker cable end, + to tip. No amp connected!

10. bubbas garage

bubbas garage

Jan 23, 2018
    I'll try, I don't think that I have a 9volt

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    You may actually be able to flip the 12's without the cab for more than you paid for both the amp and cab. Sum of the parts and all that. Might take some patience, and just be one here one there on CL or whatever; but IMO worth the effort to net a free vintage Peavey kick-around combo and some firewood. Cool score.

12. You can use 1.5 v or 12v and a spare bit of wire and clips. Be careful with 12v not to short it, and don't give the speakers any more than a blip of juice or they will suck on it until something melts. 9v or 1.5v I think it would be the battery cooking first.