Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Combo 115 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Hi. As you probably know, I've been looking at used combos for my next amp, seeing as I'm currently playing through a borrowed Peavey guitar amp. I've found a great deal on a Peavey Combo 115: £325($462) with flightcase, in impeccable condition. I was also looking at similar Trace Elliot stuff, but the right deal just hasn't cropped up, and I don't think I can turn down this deal. But I've just realised that I've never actually played a Combo 115. I've played everything but this and the BAM. I loved the TNT, liked the TKO and was considering a Basic 112 at one point (My plans soon changed when I saw the deals you can gain from careful shopping). Any users of the amp here on TB? Comments, thoughts? Design flaws or problems? Anything?

Thanks in advance,
    PF

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its way better than the TNT, so if you liked the TNT you'll like the Combo.

3. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Its a decent deal. I have the 210 combo with the 15 BW extention and I cant find anythind better that i can afford. just a 15 never did it fir me but its all prefrance right?? You can probley fine a 2 or 4X10 cab pretty cheap. good luck

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If you like Peavey gear (I do), you'll probably like this amp, especially if you like the TNT and the TKO, because the Combo 115 stands head and shoulders above them.

Great sound, lots of features (the compressor is nice), and plenty of power -- 200 watts as configured, and 300 watts if you add another 4-ohm extension cab.

One caveat -- at nearly 100 pounds, it is a beast to haul around.

With the flight case included, it sounds like a great deal.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah it is pretty heavy, and a flightcase will add more weight. Make sure to get casters, if it doesn't already have them.

6. I have one, and it was my first big amp. I don't particularly like the sound that it gives me. I have moved on to Ampeg, but still have this at home. About 8 months after I got it, the speaker crapped out, but luckily it was still under warranty. I did take it to the store once and tried it with a Peavy 2x10, and I did like that. I would just say try before you buy, but if you liked other combos with the black widow, you will probably like this one.

jtbp

7. Yeah, the fellow I'm buying it from said that the flightcase will need castors, as he had to take them off to use on the flightcase for his new Trace Elliot combo. I don't mind shelling £10 for some new castors though, considering the flight case would probably be around £130 on its own.

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yup, first thing I did was build a dolly for mine -- some heavy-duty casters, a can of cheap, flat, black spray paint, and some scrap lumber in my garage and I was all set.

And I'll testify to the Jim's comment about adding the 2X10 -- I did, and it really opened up the sound.

9. The extension cab thing is on of the main reasons I'm looking into it. I could stick a 4x10 or 2x10 w/ horn on top of the combo and have a reasonably loud full stack. Use the crossover to get the right mix, maybe just to crispen up the highs in my distortion. Cabs are cheap IME, I've seen a Peavey 210TX go for as little as £170. I just need the damn combo first :D.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I love my Combo 115. Much better than the Fender BXR dual 400 bass head I used to have. And plenty loud to IMHO.
    Yes, it is heavy. But you can always put on casters (I have a hand truck, so moving it around isn't difficult-unless you're going up and down stairs!)
    I don't think you'll go wrong with this amp.