Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey COMBO 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxBlackOrchidxX, Jan 31, 2004.

1. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Does anyone have this, what do you think of it ? | may be getting one soon, | just wan to see what you all would say about it.
    | play with 2 guitar, and a drummer. what | looking for it volume, and good low end.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have a Peavey TNT 115BW, and i swear by it. The band im with are just starting to get louder, and the 150 watts is fine, it can handle the guitarists marshall stack fine. The graphic EQ is a god-send, and the built in chorus is kinda cool aswell. Peavey makes some great stuff.

3. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    currently |m playing from a Peavey TKO 115, and it is probly the worst 15 inch | have ever played.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Combo 115 is in a totally different class from the TKO 115. It is louder, has better tone and better low end. The EQ is very versatile, and gives the amp a lot of flexibility.

The only real drawback is the weight. It is very heavy for a combo amp, and has an inadequate handle and no casters.

5. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    Yes but | have noticed that this one has two handles and wheels to hual that weight.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.

Mine has casters :confused:

7. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    I have a older model TNT 115 BW and it weighs around 100 lbs with no handles besides the little one on top. Carring this thing up/down the stairs (my house and the practice space) every other day to practice is the biggest pain. I'm actually looking for a portable ampeg cab/head setup right now (see other thread) for a improvement in tone but also cause hauling this combo around is getting to be too much. I'm a pretty light guy so this might not be a problem for others but something to keep in mind. The EQ and punch feature is pretty nice though and its loud enough for practice but there definitely is'nt much more volume in reserve with out sacrificing tone. I'm no expert on amps so dont take anything I say to seriously though.

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have one 115. It's broken now, but it used to sound great.

9. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    I used to own one of the older 115 combos....an 81 model I believe. I always thought it was a little muddy, but it didn't have the tweeter like the newer models.

I have one of the newer combo 210tx's now and prefer the sound of it over the 115.

For the price the Peavey combo series is a pretty good amp,
    flexible preamp.......
    enough power to keep up with a with a band in most small to medium clubs......

It is heavy for a combo amp

10. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Check the "Reviews" section of this site for a detailed review I did ~2yrs ago. I still stick by it. But more so on the recomendation of the 2x10 version or a small head/cab set-up. I cannot stress how much of a pain in the ass this thing is weight and size wise. Getting this thing down a flight of typical home basement stairs is scary. Also it will not fit in most trunks and is a tight fit inside many cars. The resale value is very low on Peavy so do not pay more that 60-70% of retail for used in mint condition. Good-Luck (get the Combo210.)

11. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I did not mean for that to be so negative. Don't get me wrong, this thing is loud as **** and will really "Bass-Out" a room. A lot of bang for the buck. It served me well, I just wish I saved a little longer for something else. And I'm pretty much stuck with it unless I trade up to something Big $ and the dealer gives a decent trade-in. If your $ sensitive used is the way to go. Never a pawn shop or dealer. Ask around, find someone trading-up, getting out or out of rent/food $. you should be able to pick one up for ~200 then do the same and find a 4ohm 2x10 ext. cab.for the ~same.

12. XxBlackOrchidxX

XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
    | have a truck, and a pretty big guy, | have no trouble carrying my TKO from point A tp point B, no matter how far it may be. I really do not like the Peavey 210 combo. it just doesnt have the sound that | only seem to get from 115s.

13. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The TNT that I play out of with my band can't really be heard over my guitarist's Marshall half-stack and the drums...

but it sure beats the hell out of my Gorilla BP-15