Peavey combo 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andi, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Andi

Jun 29, 2005
    I`ve reciently up graded my old Peavey TKO 65 (probably about 12 years old) to a Peavey Combo 115. I`m really happy with the sound but although it`s 200 watt RMS it`s not as loud as i would expect it to be, in fact it dosen`t seem to be as load as my TKO 65. If anyone has come across this or has any suggestions (maybe i need to set it up differently) let me know what you think.
  2. Have you considered getting a seperate peavey head and cab ?

that way you could have a 4x10 cab instead of a 1x15, but you could always have a 1x15 if you wanted anyway

And it would be a fair bit louder too (well, if you go the firebass or max700 (same thing)
  3. "Loudness" can be rather strange loud we perceive something has a lot to do with the EQ involved.

It could be the old amp cut all the lows, but boosted mids, plus Peavey's built-in compression was kicking in because amp's power was maxed out pretty quickly. This combination of EQ and compression make the old amp seem "loud". The new amp may not be EQ'd this way and its compression may kick in more gradually.

Plus, twice as much power actually only equals a 3 db increase in volume, all things being equal.

Finally, different amps project sound differently: the old amp may have seemed "loud" to you right next to it, but a few feet away (like out in the audience) its sound may have disappeared completely. Whereas the new amp may not seem that loud to you standing right next to it, but it may be very present out in the audience.

EQ it: I'd crank up the mids just a little and keep the lows flat, treble to suit. Don't crank the lows, that'll soak up your power.

If possible, walk out into the audience to listen. There's lots of these Peavey combos out there gigging and they can get the job done.
  4. Andi

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks for your feed back.
  5. i have a peavey tnt 115 and that thing cranks. i'm happy with mine and i find it to be plenty loud in small/medium sized venues. (although a large room/venue would probably suck the power out of it without PA help)
  6. depends on the ohms too. i upgraded from a tko65 to a tnt130, and while it's not as deep and vibey, it projects a little better. 65@8ohms=130@4 ohms it seems, cuz its just not as loud seeming.