Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Combo 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orange_juice_binge, Oct 28, 2000.

1. orange_juice_binge

orange_juice_binge

Sep 8, 2000
    Does anyone know if the Peavey Combo 115 is a good amp? I'm thinking about buying one and I'd like some input.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a pretty good, very loud, VERY HEAVY amp. Make sure you lift it before you buy it. If you don't mind the weight, it is a very rugged workhorse amp.

I have it's predecessor, the TNT 130. I've had it for 20 years and the only problem that I've ever had is that a short has developed in the power cord.

OH! BTW, I almost forgot, I would highly recommend that if you pick this amp, buy one with the Black Widow speaker. It is a little bit more, but these speakers sound great and last practically forever, and are easily fixed by replacing the basket if you ever manage to blow one.

The standard speaker is either a Sheffield or a Scorpion Plus, and both of these suck IMHO. Not near as much low end or high end as a BW and not as durable either.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had a Combo 115 with a Black Widow. It weighed 75 pounds. It was pretty good sound-wise, but I could never get any highs out of it. Never needed service. Sold it to ... uhhh, GC for $125, which means they sold it for $250. Don't pay more than that for a used one.

By the way, this was one of the many amps I bought on the way to Eden. Save longer, sell your sister, and blackmail your existing siblings so you can get an Eden amp. You'll save a lot of money in the long run. I know, I've said it all before.

4. orange_juice_binge

orange_juice_binge

Sep 8, 2000
    Thanks for the advice.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Umm... my post was a screw up. I must have been asleep last night, the modern equivalent of my TNT130 is the TNT 115.

The Combo 115 is 210 watts or 300 if you hook up a 4 ohm extension cabinet, with the extension it is a very loud amp, albeit even heavier than my TNT.

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    The newer ones sound great, and get PLENTY of highs. And even without an extension cab it's as loud as many 350s, and with one, it's just huge. But it weighs a friggin' ton (make that 105 lbs). It's too bulky for me to move by myself, and I'm in good shape. Now than I'm an apartment dweller, mine now has a permanent spot in my van, along with a hand truck (I use my keyboard amp to practice on). And every time I hit a set of stairs, I have to get help. It sucks. But a coupla weeks ago I was too lazy to move it, decided to use an available Crate 350 head (unknown model) through a Hartke 410, and I wished I had used my own gear. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to move.

And while I agree with munji in principle about shooting for the high end gear (I'm gonna buy myself a Sadowsky for my 40th b-day, and nothing less), things don't always work out that way. If price really is an issue, Peavey has been making some great sounding stuff lately (basses too). You might need a forklift to move it though...

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I had one for about five years -- really liked it. Great sound and nice features and function for the price (great compressor). Really opened up the sound when I added a Peavey 210 TXF cab, though. And at 300 watts output, it had plenty of power.

The Combo 115 remains one of Peavey's most popular models, and there is a good standing used market for them. This from a former Peavey hater -- never would touch the stuff before that. But when I did the comparisons, side by side with everything else similar, I was quite impressed. Bass Player magazine usually gives it high marks too, for what that's worth.

The one downside -- it was a pig to haul around at over 90 pounds, especially with one one skimpy straphandle on top. I added side handles and built a dolley to move it around.

An alternative you might look at is the 210 TX combo -- same amplifier, but with two 10s and a horn for the payload instead of a 15.

8. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I've had a Combo 115 for 5 years now. A few notes:
    -It is heavy & awkward as shznit! No joke, try before you buy.
    -It is also top heavy, mine fell on it's face, jamming the 1/4" plug into the high-gain input. Now I have to use the Low-gain side (takes a licking, keeps on ticking).
    -ONLY buy a "Black-Widow" equiped model.
    -The bang/for the buck can't be beat.
    -After a few years I wish I had the 2 x 10" vesion. I think the 15" sounds better by yourself, but the 10"'s cut through a band better. If you can get a 15" cheap go for it and add a 2 x 10" extention later.

9. jhart16

jhart16

Oct 30, 2000
    great amp but you definitly need the widow. The Sheffield lasted about 2 months of gigging before it died .
    Its made out of lead though.
    I am thinking of getting the 2x10 powered cab to use with its crossover.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Great amp, tough, never breaks down - I've had mine for a long time. Now I just leave it in our rehearsal room because I don't want to lug it around anymore.