Peavey combo woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Nov 17, 2002.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My Peavey combo is acting up. This comes out of nowhere, because up until this point it's been a real workhorse, and worked despite the abuse that has been thrown its way. (I haven't abused in a while, so it has no reason to be cranky.)

It's an older TNT130, before they started calling them them the 115. The problem is, while I am playing, the DDT (clipping protection circuit dealie) goes on, stays on, and the sound cuts out. I haven't changed anything in my setup, so the signal going into the amp is the same it's always been. The amp will stay silent with the DDT on for random amounts of time. I can turn the amp off and on, and the light will still be on. The sound comes back at random after a soft pop and some hiss that slowly fades and then it sounds like it did before. (Still crappy, but there's sound.) Sometimes the problem lasts a few seconds, sometimes it will be minutes. I have had my amp for almost four years and this has never happened until now.

What the hell is going on?
  2. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    it is old.

go get it checked out.

perhaps it is just the input jack being a wanker.

maybe not.
  3. My 115 does the same thing, it happened to me this mid gig!! and even worse, in the midle of one of my solos!! I'm just getting rid of it and buying better gear. I can't even stand looking at it anymore.

OT: hey Peavey TNT, we have the same birthday, and both use Peavey TNTs...weird...
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, not that too many will care, I checked out the Peavey support forums, and found that what I described means there is a problem with the power amp. I really don't want to fix this amp. I don't like it. I suppose this is a good excuse to buy a new amp. Now I just have to choose which of two smaller, lighter, and better sounding amps I am looking at to replace it with. :D