Peavey Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davis Goertzen, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a bass amp, and I'm wondering what you all think of the Combo 115 vs TNT 115, both by Peavey. Also, what do you think of the TKO 115, also a Peavey? Thanks, Davis Goertzen
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I believe that they're all considered good, solid amps available at bargain prices on the used market.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The TKO is not really loud enough for gigging.

The TNT is plenty loud, and the Combo is a little louder, with more headroom. Good, solid, loud amps. The only real downside is that they are very heavy, and have very inadequate handles.
  4. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i played a TKO 115 with my high school jazz band, it was my school's amp. it was loud enough IME. i liked the tone i got from it--the only problem i have with it was the equalizer, it left something to be desired. oh and one more thing, its hard to carry since it only has one poorly placed handle.

5. Id go for the TNT, but thats me... :meh:
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    For years I used a TKO w/ a Black Widow speaker as my practice amp and for low volume rehearsals. It did a great job- very reliable, no problems. But IMO the TKO does'nt have enough power to gig with.

I've never owned a TNT but I recall a few locals guys using them on stage in the past, but these guys kept their stage volumes very low. IMO the TNT may work, but if you play in a loud band you'll probably end up pushing the amp past it's limits.

I see the old "Combo 300" show up on ebay from time to time at an affordable price. I used one for many years with no failures at all. It was plenty loud but it was heavy and awkward to move. If you can find one in good shape and at a decent price, you may want swoop on it.

Embellisher is right on the money in regards to Peavey's handle placement. I think their designers had a few too many 3 martini lunches! :D
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No kidding! What do they think, we're all a bunch of gorillas that can carry a big, boxy 100 lb. amp like it's a briefcase???

Engineers should be forced to use the stuff they design. :eek:
  8. I have owned all three, and I still have a TKO for a practice amp. I would agree with what others have said about the TKO in that it is under powered for most gigs, and it is extremely heavy. I have owned two TNTs from different eras, and I found them both to be a bit midrangy but loud enough for small club gigs. The combo series is a lot better, but you need a crane to move them around. I used my old Combo 210TX on top of a 115 BW and it was fine in pretty large rooms. My biggest gripe about that amp was the fact that control pots had plastic posts in them. One night while the drummer and I were lugging the thing out the door, it got away from us and raked across the doorframe and broke half of the knobs off right there. :eek: This rendered the amp useless until I could have the pots replaced. Hopefully they have changed this design since then. :meh:
  9. bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I've used a TNT 130 for several years both for rehearsal and gigging. Great amp, but as mentioned before, heavy and needs more than one handle.

Actually I managed to blow the speaker on mine, but I never heard of anyone else breaking ther peavey-stuff. These things are build as tanks.

The TNT is loud enough for gigging, but if you find a combo (that's 300 watts i think) i would taken that one.
  10. The TNT or the Combo should do you fine. As everyone has said it does lack handles, I'd suggest putting on some casters when you get it. They are usually built like tanks, and last a while. I used to use a 210TX Combo as well, and it lasted prob a decade, with no problems, but finally a surge hit the power section and killed it (now I always care a suge dealy with me).
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Don't forget the Databass. 450 watts into single 15".
  12. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Another vote for the Combo. Yeah, it's heavy. So what. They are available cheap and are probably some of the most amp for the buck out there. Never known one to die other than in some Pagan ritual. Not the best, tonewise...but, again, for the bang-for-the-buck factor, I don't think there's anything that will best them.

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The later model Combo 115's do have better handles than the old ones did. You still need help though, as it is low to the ground and square. So trying to pick this up by yourself is still not easy, because of how far you've gotta stretch your arms to grab both handles.

I like the tone I get from mine. Don't forget, you can add an additional 4 ohm cabinet to get the full 300 watts.

Get some casters, or a hand truck. Don't be afraid to ask for help either-I've helped others carry their stuff after gigs.

Oh, the Combo 115 gets pretty loud too, so IMHO you should go for that one. I think you'll like it.
  14. Hi, Thanks for the input everybody. Maybe I should have mentioned, I would be using the bass amp mostly for small applications, such as church functions, gospel jamborees, etc., so I wouldn't be looking for a WHOLE lot of power just for power's sake. Also, I was thinking, even if I got something like the TNT or TKO, which definitely don't have the power of the Combo, isn't it reasonable to think that if I would be in a situation where I would need more power than those amps really have, it would also be a big enough function that I could just run from my line out to the P.A.? Thanks.
  15. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    More power can also mean more headroom which can translate to tone, dynamics, etc.
    Yup. (though the DI would be better) If you know your larger venues will have PAs than your amp may be no more than your monitor.
  16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My story with Peavy.

I went to this other guitar store and I was looking at the peavy amps. So the guy was telling me about it and plugs it in and hands my some really cool looking Xplorer bass. He turns the thing up and say "See its loud and shake a few walls right?"
    I said "sure does but what kinda tone can I get"
    He just look at me and said something and let me test it out.

I found the peavy's to be more loud then anything else.