Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey CS-800S & DDT. Also, Deep rack bags?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Apr 22, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Looks like i snagged a nice deal on a Peavey CS-800S, and it should be heading my way today in time for tues-ish next week. It was a really nice price, so I couldnt let the deal go, despite a couple negative comments I've found on the amp and Peavey's DDT technology. :eyebrow:

I did a quick search and found that Bass Player Magazine did a shootout of poweramps that included this model, and they gave the amp solid ratings except for the "sound" category. Apparently it doesnt sound as "open" like some other amps, because the DDT seems to affect the sound even when switched off. Personally, my thoughts are that if i'm not A/Bing power amps and I can't notice something "wrong" off the bat, then the sound through the mix is completely good enough for someone like me. any other comments on this amp or DDT in general? if anything it gives me piece of mind that the amp is protected from clipping itself to all heck.

also the amp is 17" deep according to the spec sheet. Anyone know if the Odyssey 16" deep rackbag can fit this? I read that stewart 1.2 worlds can fit and they're specced out to 16.5" i think. I want to ditch the SKB-style molded racks and try the bags with this next setup.

otherwise getting am amp that bridges into 1200 watts into 4 ohms with 2 rack spaces and 23 lbs for nice and dirt cheap is making me happy :D

thanks.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I think Bass player is way too picky. If it sounds good to you and it's a good deal , use it.

I had a Peavey with DDT once and only noticed the sound degrade when the DDT was in. I just didn't use the DDT. Didn't need to. It wasn't the most hi-fi sounding amp, but as I wasn't playing solo bass concerts in acoustically perfect auditoriums it didn't matter. It was fine as a bass amp, had plenty of power and was reliable and cheap. Lots of working bass players use Peavey and Yorkville.

3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I have used both 800's and 400's for a long time and they are reliable and loud and a pile of watts for the money.
    The DDT compression can be useful or disabled depending on your style.
    They are also built like a tank and if you drop it it stands a good chance of surviving.
    The electronics inside are designed to be able to withstand abuse and musicians doing dumb things.
    It is tough to go wrong with a Peavey CS series.