Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey deltabass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anotherbassist, Nov 23, 2003.

1. hey
    wat do you think if this head? I saw it new for $200. Is it worth it. I was gonna get a hartke 1400 head, is this better?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I know that Peavey takes a lot of flack as the "value brand" but I think the Deltabass is pretty underrated.

If you use a 4 ohm cab (and I would definitely recommend 4ohm) you'll get a solid 160 watts. That's only 3db less than a 300 watt amplifier with the same efficiency speaker (you need double the wattage for every 3db increase in volume).

It has plenty of facilities (active/passive switch, tone contour, bass/treble, parametric mid control, buffered tuner out, DI out with post or pre EQ & ground lift, effects send, and it's light and quiet. It has everything that a live bassist needs.

The sound is pretty true to the character of the bass with a large degree of tonal flexibility. Sure, you won't be able to play at stadium concert levels but I can fill a 280 seat auditorium at our church at half volume using a 1-15 4 ohm Peavey cab vs. two amplified guitarists, keys, and an enthusiastic drummer. I use a combination of passive and active basses and find it to be pretty revealing of the different tonal characters of my guitars.

I wanted a reliable solid state head that I could leave at church for the other bassist and myself, plus the youth worship team to use. I haven't had one bit of trouble in the year that I've owned it and it gets about 3 hours use per week.

It doesn't start to burp out until about 7.5 volume which happens to be a LOT louder than I need it to be. Up until that point it's really clean, and you can dial up a lot of the bass control and it won't distort. I've seen the $199 deals thru Musicians Friend and thought that it was a terrific value for the price.

If you're playing reasonable volumes (I know, what's reasonable?) it will more than do the trick.

The only other thing available at that price is the new Behringer 3000 head which claims 300 watts. Otherwise anything else is much more money.

3. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    If you like the Peavey's tone, then go for it. I was gonna buy a Deltabass untill i got a Nitrobass dirt cheap. In all honesty, my amp has more bad sounds than good, but when you hit a good one, it certainly blows away my guitarist (running on a marshall 100W half stack) I play my Nitro through a Peavey 4x10 and it still pumps out a hell of a lot of bass for 10" speakers.

have fun

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree with Matt Bass. I had a nitrobass and for the extra money, the extra booty is worth it. Both will be built like tanks. If you want a new head, you will probably do fine with this.

If used will do, look for a GK 400RB on e-bay. They're usually less than $200, sound great and are LOUD.

Good Luck,

Matt