peavey deltabass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thephilosopher, Dec 22, 2004.

1. thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    The price is right on this head, as are the features.

Would it be adequate power? I'd be running it with an SVT-410HE.. I'm havin' my doubts about it being powerful enough.

There's a Mark VI that I could get, but it's a 4 ohm amp, and I'm pretty sure the cab is 8.
  2. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    What kind of music are you playing, and what kind of volume are you looking for? Have you looked at the peavey nitrobass and firebass? they're the deltabass except... more. But yeah, chances are you're going to want more power than the deltabass.

Oh and by the way, nowadays they're called Max 160, Max 450, and Max 700. it's the same thing as the delta, nitro, and firebass, just different cosmetics. You can get them all (especially the old versions) pretty cheap on Ebay. I have a Max 700 and it's fantastic.
  3. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i agree !i had the nitro head ! w/ 4/10 cab it jammed!
    the delta would not be enough on the 4/10 some might think so but if you ever need more power you would have it with a nitro or firebass head you can pick either of these used at a
    good price!
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I used to own a DeltaBass. It sounded nice, but wasn't really loud enough to gig with.
  5. thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks guys, the only reason I was checking out the deltabass is because it's in a shop localls - I'm gonna be going with a Peavey mk. VI if the impedence on the cab/head matches up.

6. As far as the cab/head impedance matching: you said the amp is rated at 4 ohms, the cab is 8. That's fine!! You could plug in a second cab later (or get a 4 ohm cab instead) for a little more power. You DON'T want a head that's only rated at 8 ohms. (Read the Ohms FAQ in this forum). I believe the Mk VI is actually rated down to 2 ohms, that's even better.

A second thought: I hear a lot of people saying various amps aren't loud enough. Dudes, have the band turn their volume down a little!!! (I've gigged a long time, in rock settings, with less than 200 watts.) Even the mighty Ampeg SVT is only 300 watts, granted it's a tube amp.

Cab efficiencies and EQ settings play a big factor also.
  7. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Irregardless, the Deltabass is not loud enough for a louder band. Have you ever told your bandmates to turn it down so you could be heard? :eyebrow:

I am going to invest in a GK rig someday soon(not soon enough) because of this same reason.
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Is it loud enough? It depends what type of music you're playing. Through a 4ohm Peavey 115 BVX BW the Deltabass I played for 2 yrs, was loud enough to fill a 400 seat sanctuary without P.A. support and a loud drummer and amplified guitars and only turned up to 5/5. It depends how loud your bandmates are.

I'm a big fan of the Deltabass. It's just a great head for the money you pay. Just remember that the Nitrobass @ 300 watts into 4 ohms vs. 160 watts into 4ohms for the Deltabass is only 3db louder.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT III Pro into the same Peavey cab and have a Nitrobass as a back-up. If you're going to need the power, try out a Nitrobass. It has the same preamp as the Deltabass. If you don't need the extra power, save some money and get the Deltabass.