1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey DPC 1400 power amp owners... a quick question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfs, Nov 11, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Will the Peavey DPC 1400 fit in a standard rack bag like a Gator (interior depth of 13.5")... based on the specs from the Peavey website it doesn't seem like it, but I thought I'd ask... if not, is there a rack bag out there that you do rack yours in? Or would I have to go with a deeper rack case (which I'd rather not do)?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I can't get at mine real well, but it looks like it takes about 16.25" from the rail to the back.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's a pretty deep one, I don't have one anymore but IIRC I needed a 19" deep rack to get it in.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Mine's in a standard-depth SKB, and I can leave the XLR and power cord connected full-time.

5. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks David and Greenboy... that's what I thought. I would really like to put together a pre/power setup that'll fit in a 2U rack bag and be relatively lightweight (under or right around 30 lbs when all is said and done) but I guess that there just aren't that many 1U power amps on the market... and the ones that are out there seem too deep for a rack bag.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's the Soundtech PS-802 which is 1U and pretty shallow. Not the same bells/whistles as the Peavey, but still apparently a great little amp (and $529 new!)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STCPS802

Nino Valenti has one for one of his rigs, and he loves it AFAIK

7. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Definitely something to consider... thanks, David.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Huge diff in performance. At this point you have to ask yourself if the rack thing has to be that big of a deal, or maybe consider some of the other lightwieght amps that are not even in rack format.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a Soundtech in a rack bag. As long as you're careful with it, it'll be fine. It's 400W a side into 4ohms, 800W bridged into 8 ohms. Pretty good sounding rig with my BMax. Light, too- though not nearly as light as my Focus. :) I think the amp is a shade over 15 lbs., FWIW.

If you were local to me, I'd let you borrow it for a gig or practice to see what you think of it.

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    It's a good point... I was just thinking it would be interesting to be able to try out something different preamps, to have that flexibility. This is still all conjecture at this point, I just wanted to see what was possible.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks for the offer... and it's good to know you like the amp as well. Well, thanks guys, this gives me some stuff to mull over.

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a DPC 750 which is basically like the soundtech except about 50 less watts. The only thing I wish it would do is bridged mono at 4ohms instead of 8

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Actually my Peavey DPC1400X is a replacement for an earlier DPC. Miles apart - not that the others were bad compared to their peers - but there is a difference in s/n, dynamic range, difficult/low load handling, and other specs that add up to a large perceptual improvement, all told. I think the Soundtechs are fine too, but I'd definitely lump them in with the earlier DPCs.