Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Dpc 1400x Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcdade, Sep 27, 2004.

1. mcdade

mcdade

Sep 27, 2004
    London (UK)
    Hi All,

Im about to get hold of one of these 1u rack power amps to replace my Ashdown PM1000 which weights in at 75 Lbs.I will be running thru my Avalon U5 into EBS cabs.If anyone uses the Avalon/Peavey Dpc 1400x setup please get back to me as I want to know how it sounds.

Cheers,

Robbie.

2. id like to know about these also 1-space, WOW and only like 19 pounds

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds great, works great, and peavey customer service isnt too bad.

but the fan can be loud for those lower volume gigs.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I have one and think it's great.
    For single space power amps, you can also check out the soundtech ps-802 (800w bridged into 8 ohms).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STCPS802

I haven't used one personally, but everyone I know with one really likes theirs.

5. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have the older version of this amp, the Peavey DPC 1000. Same size/weight as yours, just with 1000 watts bridged mono. I am running an Alembic F1-X and SF-2 for the front end into the DPC 1000, but find the power amp does a good job of delivering an uncolored sound to the speakers. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well.

6. I'll chip in another plug for the Soundtech PS802. There's a thread around here about it somewhere. If 800 watts is enough for you, you can't beat it.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    re-reading the thread,

why not a Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1?? sure, its 2 rack U, but its still only 17 lbs., and i like the fact that its has a bit more "breathing" room, than the cramped 1 rack U of the Peavey. also, they're alot cheaper from what i've seen, cause the prices on the Peavey can be up there.

NOT that i'd be thinking of selling mine, mind y'all! ;)

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i have the older and jr. version of the peavey dpc1400x, my trusty dpc750 and i love it, its a real workhorse, built tough, and sounds good to me. and the fan is not a problem for me under any circumstances, which is a bit surprising since its pretty old.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Joker...does the U5's massive headroom overwhelm the DPC1400X at all?

I have a DPC-1000 that I'm very happy with, but my preamps don't have the kind of voltage swing capability that the Avalon does...

10. Given your location you might want to check around on price and availability of Stewart, QSC etc. I was able to pick up a new QSC PLX3002 for less than the new DPC1400 which I was seriously considering.