peavey DPC 1400X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Apr 16, 2003.

1. So what's the low down on the DPC 1400X, I've tried it and like it. I thought it was clear and accurate, but I've read allot of posts saying peavey amps are not as clear and accurate as Stewart, QSC, etc... Even the local peavey dealer was telling me peavey power amps aren't really that good sounding.

How does it compare to other brand names?
    How does it compare to the new peavey GPS series?
    How does it compare to the new peavey CS800S?

I'm power hungry:bassist: !!!
  2. Over the years I've had a lot of experience with PV CS800, CS400, and Deca power amps. To my ears, they never sounded as clean or had the punch of the Crown or QSC amps. But, we're talking PA and not bass. If you're looking for a single rack power amp with a built in fan and 1400 watts, the DCP 1400 is your only choice. It will more than do the job in a bass rig and probably never give you a minutes trouble. And, if it does, PV has great service.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Bass player gave it a great review. I can't remember the issue, but, it might be on the BP site. I'm sure it's a great amp. Unfortunately, everything Peavey carries with it the "Peavey" stigma. I've found, however, that they're great stuff is great and the mid range stuff is, well, midrange; exactly what it was designed to be.
  4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I recently sold a QSC 3002 because I didn't need all the power it put out. Found a DPC at a store for the same price that I knew I could sell the QSC for and actually made out $150 extra. No loss in tone! Was able to go from a 6 space rack to a 4 space and still have 1000 W to my 8 ohm cab or 1400 W to the pair of 8 ohm Epi 112's. That's A Plenty!

I keep the DDT engaged and can tell no loss of umph power. For the sake of comparison, my history with power amp/pre amp set ups has included a Mackie 1400i, which didn't sound as good as the Stewart 2.1 that I replaced it with. Then came the QSC which, (IMO) these H class switching amps pretty much all sound alike. No real difference in the QSC and the Stew 2.1 except more headroom in Bridge Mono. The PV requires a deeper rack than the QSC (13.25 inches versus 16.25 inches) but I still prefer my current set up over the larger rack.

It's lighter than other power amps that will put out similar power (with the exception of the QSC PLX's and the Power Light.... c'mon, you can't beat 1 rack space and 1000 or 1400 W)

No Speakon connection connection, which I'd have preferred, Only Banana and 1/4 inch. No biggie.

I'd get over the PV name plate issue. Have you played a Cirrus? Great instrument for the money, and better than some that cost way more. And while it is a HUGE beast, the 412 TXV (which I've also owned in the past) is a great cab for meduim to large gigs. Sounds great, just not very portable. Granted, Peavey isn't a name that brings to mind thoughts of serious hi fi equipment, but they have gotten SOOOOOOO much better. If your local dealer doesn't recommend them, he shouldn't sell them. I bet he's trying to sell you something esle that costs more. Then again, let me temper unfounded opinions. I just don't have the hangups others have about Peavey gear (recent stuff, that is)

I'd actually like to have another DPC.....

So, if you decide you don't want to keep yours.....

PM Me!!
  5. This review of the DPC1400 from Bass Player is actually on the Peavey website... check it out, it's available in a downloadable pdf.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love mine as well.

when i'm on a high volume gig, the variable fan gives me LOTS more peace of mind, than my Stewart, which doesnt have one.
  7. Quote: It's lighter than other power amps that will put out similar power (with the exception of the QSC PLX's and the Power Light.... c'mon, you can't beat 1 rack space and 1000 or 1400 W)

Then I suggest you check out the Digam series amps by Powersoft.1 u height, 9.5kg, 2*1.5kW@2ohms for 900 euro's (approx $900).

Cheers Rody
  8. Hey Rody,

do you know some other brands that make them small and light, 1 rackspace, power amps...
    I'm also from Europe (Belgium) and like to know more about these kind of amps that are 'affordable' over here in Belgium/the Netherlands...
  9. The other one I know of is the Stewart World 1.6 if my memory serves me correctly, but what one would cost over here, I have no idea.

BTW, the Digam 7000 is rated at a whopping 2*2.9 kW at 2 ohms, 1 u, 9.5 kg, but is a lot more expensive ;-)

Cheers Rody
  10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I was not aware of these:

Powersoft Digam Site

I should clarify my comment to say that the Peavey DPC is one of the best things goin' that is available in the U.S.

These Powersoft amps are pretty awesome on the spec page.
  11. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Where did you see that Digam 2x1500W 9,5 kg amp for $900?
    According to the link above the price is more like $2800.

Also what are those Peavey 1400´s going for?
  12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    New, they've retailed for between $1100 and $1400.

I lucked up and got mine new for $599. I've seen them go used on e-bay for about $700 or so. They're sorta hard to find. And when you do find one, it's usually overpriced. I don't think they're worth a heck of a whole lot more used than the average Stewart 1.2 whic regularly sells for about $500. But it DOEs have a fan and it IS rated 200 W higher, so maybe $600? but not $700.

I bet if you find one in a store, and you haggle with 'em, they'll come down. They mostly just want to move it because it's been on the shelf OVERPRICED for so long. but whatever you do, GET IT!!!
  13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I guess I sent you a totally useless PM, huh Mario? :D ;)

I wish that I could find one new for $600.00. The problem is that I very rarely see them in any store. They always say that they can order them though.
  14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    No you're PM was actually quite interesting. Keep your eyes peeled.

And as far as the "we can order you one" deal, that way they don't order it expecting to sell it within ___ months and recoup their money, but it actually sits on the shelf collecting dust for way longer than anticipated, and the invoice came in months (years) ago.

That's how I got mine. The guy said he'd had the darn thing for over a year and a half at the MSRP minus $100 or so. No takers. Finally, he just had to move it. I don't know what he paid for it as a PV dealer, but it couldn't have been for much more than what he sold it to me for.

If I were you, I'd set a search reminder with e-bay for the terms Peavey and DPC. The 750 and 1000 models come up often, but in typical PV fashion, they weren't bridgeable at 4 ohms and the master gain controls ARE ON THE BACK OF THE AMP!!! Duh?!?!

Good bargains though.
  15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I could be wrong, but I THINK that 900+ Euro (or US Dollars) is the "cost of credit" or the difference you'll pay in the asking price and the sum of all the payments plus interest. Full disclosure laws in some places require that this cost be made known to the end purchaser. Kinda deceiving, but it pays to know that you'll be paying the cost of the amp PLUS an additional 900+ USD or Euros over the life of the finance deal. What's the conversion rate these days????

Those things are SWEET!! But WAAAAAAAY out of the average giggin' bass players price range, unless your name is Marcus, or Louis, or Larry, Or Micheal M.

OOoooo, I'm gettin' the shiver's just THINKING about owning one those puppies!!
  16. Mario,

As far as I can see, 899 is the real price. The price including financing and interest for 21 payments would be E982,06. But if you want to make sure, mail them.........

A Euro is approximately equal to the dollar in value (slightly higher).

Cheers rOdy
  17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Man, I'm one of those who has several Peavey searches save to my eBay page! Peavey Bass, Peavey amp, etc. I run those as well as doing a search for Peavey, PV & Peavy in the musical instruments category! :D I haven't been able to score when the timing was right.

The least expensive that I've seen one of those amps at a local dealer was $695.00. I checked it out, decided against it and left the store. I made it home about 10 minutes later going, "You know, I should get that amp." I drove back to the store and it was gone. :bawl: That's the closest that I've come to a Mario-type deal on one of those. I do keep my eyes open though.
  18. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I bought a Peavey DPC 1000 used for $300 on last year. It is one of the models that Peavey had before the DPC 1400.
    Peavey DPC 750s (also a 1 space rack amp) frequently show up for less than that.
    The musicgoround website was down earlier today but there is a DPC 750 on ebay.