Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey dpc1400x hiss?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Wilson, May 11, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I currently have a QSC PLX 2402 power amp, which is great. I'm always looking at ways of getting my rig smaller, all the easier to cart around NYC gigs.

Apart from the Stewart World amps, the one which has caught my eye is the Peavey DPC 1400x which sounds too good to be true. 1400W bridged, one rack space, fan cooled? Wow!

Someone I spoke with regarding this said the prior models (700 and 1000) suffered from dreadful hiss and and the 1400x, while better, still suffered from some hiss.

Anyone got any experience/comments?

cheers

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've heard that the fan noise can be a little much at times depending on the setting (for example, if you are playing a low volume gig) but I've never heard of any other problems with noise.

3. I had a DPC1000. While not the quietest amp I ever heard, at normal (or louder) levels it was just fine.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey dave!

hope the HBP-1 is working out for you, and thx again.

well, i know we kinda already discussed this in front of the Fox News building, but again, my DPC isnt really that hissie. the fan does make a bit of a racket, but not overly annoyingly so. its still great for club gigging, and when things are in full swing, you barely notice the fan.

You're more than welcome to come by the rehearsal hall, and check it out, before i send off my Demeter cab!

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Joker,
    thx again for a smoking deal! Surprised it was available for so long at that price!

Anyway, I thought it (the hiss) sounded kind of unlikely. My friend admitted he hadn't heard the 1400 firsthand, but did have direct experience with the issue on the 700 and 1000.

OK, sounds like I should pursue this. I'll be able to take a 1400W pre+power rig, weighing 30lbs or so, in a 2 space rack unit. Crazy! Now, anyone know a good place to buy one? I've been searching around, and haven't found anywhere willing to display a price online apart from the peaveymag website.

Thx to everyone else for their input also. Appreciate it.

6. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I also have a DPC1000 and the fan really is not that loud compared to other Power Amps with built in fans. It has a single fan ath the rear of the unit.
    Many Power amps in the 1000 watt range have 2 fans.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i got mine from Medley Music in philly. a bit expensive, but was cheaper than what i saw elsewhere.

www.medleynet.com