Peavey Dynabass Series 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Aug 27, 2013.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    These pics are for a colleague to use for research. I'm trying to get some history on this (possibly unique) amp. The setup includes two vertical "W" style folded horns, with black plastic weave grill, standard aluminum trim-both sides, and Peavey logo at top of grill mesh. The amp and one cab have the serial number 204996, and the other cab has 204995. Also, on the far right of the rear of the amp, there is a 5 pin DIN plug. Thanks BB...PS, the cabs are/were loaded with 18" Vega Speakers, 3 ohms each, I've since replaced them.

Attached Files:

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    I asked Hartley about it. He said that he most likely built it. It was a production amp, but we don't know how many were made. Unfortunately, there was no published literature when it came out because the company was basically just him, and if he wasn't building amps, he was out trying to sell them. The Series 500 power amplifier schematic was published in 1971 for service centers, but I think the amp is older than that. So far, I have a copy of the power amp schemo.

Hartley remembers the preamp circuit, and he described it to me. He is looking through his personal library to see if he still has the schematic, but it's probably just drawn by hand. I'm going to try to find out more general history info. next time I talk to him. He always jumps to the technical stuff, like he still remembers the power transistor matching specs. for it.

He said that he built it to outperform Fender and Kustom bass rigs, which were the market leaders at the time, and that he was very proud of it back then. This part has been edited ;)

3. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    More info...

Hartley says this model of Dynabass was made from 1968 to 1969. He made a Dynabass before then, but it had a 120W amp module.

He said that he found a file folder with documentation. I would imagine that both Dynabass models have the same preamp, but he hasn't given me the schematics yet.

4. That is a cool old amp. I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of the power amp schematic, to see how it compares to the Series 400.

5. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Somewhere, I have a copy of that hand drawn schematic.

6. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I had one, first high power Bass amp I ever owned...powered a single 15 Guild cab and a custom made 15 W horn. Very loud and powerful.

7. phoenixjmw

phoenixjmw

Jul 9, 2013
    appologies for jumping in... So there are good Peavey tech people around here? I have a question about a Peavey guitar amp malfunction and wondering who/where is a good place to ask? Thanks

8. I would suggest starting a new thread rather than piggybacking on this one.

9. Themeatpopsicle

Themeatpopsicle

Jan 31, 2014
    I have been using this same bass amp for about ten years now. I had no idea it was this old! I bought it for $200, and the cabinet holds an 18" speaker (not sure what kind), and had the canvas/nylon mesh grill with logo on front. The right channel is out, but the left side works fine. I've toured with this amp, it's been dropped, abused and used heavily. Had I known more about it, I would have left it in the studio. Does anyone know the value on this, or how to check the exact year? Also, this is one of my most favorite bass amps that I've played through. Simple, loud and very reliable!

10. jared loyd

jared loyd

Apr 1, 2015
    I've got one of these and recently it quit on me. It turns on but nothing comes out. The output on my head and input on my cab went out at the same time. Any idea what's up?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021