Peavey fans, help me confirm the identity of this neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Reedt2000, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    So I just scooped this neck offa' Ebay as a jumping off point for a new project (for anyone who's seen it, yes I have an existing project, but I swear it'll get done. I'm in the home stretch :smug:).

I paid $115 including shipping so I feel good about it no matter what the results of this thread are, but I'd like to confirm that it was made in the USA. from pics I've looked at before buying I feel pretty good that it is, wanted to tap the hive-mind anyway :D

Screenshot_20201001-094041_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201001-094035_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201001-094029_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20201001-094022_eBay.jpg

2. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Bump for having a lack of patience today, and a desire to talk about it while I wait for it to be shipped to me :roflmao:

3. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    It's a USA Millennium hard rock maple neck with a pao ferro fretboard.

4. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Awesome, thank you! The seller claims it's NOS and I know from working for a Peavey dealer they are known for selling off extra parts, especially when they change products or facilities.

AudioTaper likes this.
  5. who

who

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    Maybe it's because a USA Millennium was my first five string, but I haven't played a bass that had a more comfortable neck than one of these. Will you be making a body to attach this one to?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah, that's the plan. I don't feel like my wood working skills are at the point where I can successfully make a neck from scratch. I'm going to invest in a router, then design and build a body. My initial thought is along the lines of a Warwick Fortress. I think with my table saw and some chisels I can create a contoured body. I'm thinking cut the rough shape, route the neck pocket and pickups (MM/J, or MM/P), then dado cut progressively shallower slices starting from the center out on the back, and the edges in on the top (stopping so the center is flat) then remove with a chisel and smooth out. It works in my head :D. I guess a router sled for contours is possible too. Still have a lot of planning to do, but barring any major issues with this neck it should be a good starting point :thumbsup:

CallMeAl and AudioTaper like this.
  7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yeah, for sure that's a Peavey Millennium Plus 5 neck!

Here's mine:

IMG_20200930_082654.jpg IMG_20200930_082645.jpg

8. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Very nice :thumbsup:

I've never got my hands on a US made Millennium. The shop I worked for carried mainly the imported stuff with the exception of some Cirrus models and occasionally some of the US made guitars. The Millennium BXPs were cool considering how cheap they were, and there was an Ellifson Scorpio that was a nice bass, but the Cirrus examples were head & shoulders above all of those. I imagine the US Millenniums were too.

This neck has some uneven coloration on the back. I can't tell if it's a photography artifact, or something about the finish. If it's the finish I'll just sand it back and re-do it.

9. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Depending on exactly what you have in mind and what kind of workholding you have handy, some mix of rasp, small plane, and belt sander might be an easier way to contour.

Also, a scratch neck was easier than I expected.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what I wanna do. I've really liked the Warwick and Spector basses I've had from a body comfort standpoint (sold the Spector cause it was too heavy to gig with at 13 lbs, and never clicked with the 2 active J pickups in the Streamer so I sold it too). The fortress shape is something I've always thought was cool, but the more angular Peavey headstock might change my plan cause I don't know how it'll flow with a curvy, rounded off body. I'll probably spend some time with Photoshop to get an idea of what shapes jive with the neck and tweak from there.

I may be over thinking the challenge of a scratch neck, but I do plan on trying it at some point.

11. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    This sounds AWESOME!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Also... if you ever have a Peavey question, post in the Peavey USA group. Tons of knowledgable folks there. And I hang out in there too.
    U.S. Peavey Club

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    USA Millennium for sure. A Plus designation is debatable, as what gets you there are Hipshot tuners and a detuner usually. I've seen and owned plenty of standard Millenniums that were highly figured flame or birdseye. Every single one I've had felt fantastic.

Reedt2000 and AudioTaper like this.
  14. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Just looked at the ebay seller and they have another USA Millennium neck listed. This one is abalone dots and a blue headstock. They're asking $100 as opening bid which was the case with the one I bought. I just offer to buy-it-now fir that and they accepted.

Just FYI ;)

ShenmueTacos and AudioTaper like this.
  15. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Awesome! I have a trans flame black teal + with matching headstock and those abalone dots tie it all together. You're going to love it.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  16. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Thanks, but I'm not gonna buy that one (although I'm tempted just to get such a quality piece cheap... again... :D). I have the one in the pics above headed my way. I posted about the other one for all of y'all :cool:

17. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Can you confirm for me that these are 17. 5mm spacing? I know its on the narrow side, which I like, put can't find that spec from peavey. I'm gonna start hunting a bridge and pickups, gotta know what will work :)

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I hope my answer doesn't raise more questions for you than give you the answer that you're looking for.....
    ...the USA Millennium was supplied with a Hipshot A Style bridge. Peavey called it a Quadrajust. Peavey did not publish the full spec in the manual. Hipshot lists 6 different string spacings available for the A Styles, and the 4 String has spacings (16.5mm~21mm) slightly different than the 5 string spacings (16.5mm~20mm). All of them can be adjusted an additional 1.5mm side to side.
    I measured my 4 string just now. It looks like I got the 20mm version.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  19. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Actually, that's exactly what I wanted to know (although I didn't ask the question properly :D). I'm looking at a Hipshot A Style bridge on and ebay it's 17mm, I didn't realize they had a spacing adjustment. They come in so many spacings I assumed it because its not adjustable (when you assume you make an... :smug:)

Thanks!

Relsom likes this.