Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Firebass 700 Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alecmcmahon, Dec 13, 2001.

1. does anybody here have the Peavey Firebass 700 Bass Head , or know how it is?

any replys appretiated.

2. and may i add, its used, for 425 bucks.. am i getting ripped or got a good deal?

3. $425?? I'd say that's a pretty decent deal, depending on the condition of it.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Pretty nice, I might be selling mine in the upper $300's though, if you're interested, PM me.

I like my head, just I might have to sell mine in order to swing the BAM 210. :(

5. its looks good condition...im gettting it off ebay, soo...i dont know until i get it

heres a picture of it

[​IMG]

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Appears to be in fairly good condition, that's one of the older models, though.
    I believe they said they had made a certain modification to make the low end better, or something, though?

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Its only like a yr. older, and I don't think that "modification" really makes a diff. The only difference is the color. I used to have that same model and I liked it fine. I called it a "vintage" Firebass, cause I thought it was funny, they changed the color.
    Only reason I sold it was to afford a BAM.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    BMG, I think they said that they had modified the low end, to sound better in the other model, not just the color. :)

It's also over a year old, I've had my Firebass for over a year, and it's the black/red version. :)

9. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I love mine. Many people like to dismiss or dump on Peavey. No person in his right mind should dump on the Firebass...It might not suit them particlarly BUT it is quality gear.
    I've got my Firebass II powering an Eden D-210XLT cab & I find it quite neutral.
    (I'll add a 15" as soon as I can!)
    From what I've read at the Peavey forum the difference between the II & the original is a "small" tweek to the preamp section. Tweeked in what way?
    I have no idea.
    Let us know what you think after you've played it a bit.

;)

10. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    ...oh, btw what cab/s are you going to use with it?

11. Davemell0

Davemell0

Nov 19, 2001
    SW Virginia
    After playing it in a music store it was my opinion that it was a bit muddy. However I think thats probably a good price, and overall I've been happy with peavey gear. Especially the construction quality, some of their combos from several years ago are an exception to that, but in general they're good stuff. My guitarist liked the tone on the firebass heads, so I'd say its just a preference thing.

12. yes yes, cabs.. i dont have a cab with me right now.. but my uncle is giving me one... he said its a fender.. and he put in a 18" peavey black widow in there along with the rest of the stuff,

ssoo i dont know EXACTLY what it is yet.. but i will soon

13. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    18"s are odd things & usually need ALOT o' juice
    should be interesting though
    a 4 ohm cab would be ideal
    an 8 ohm one will suffice

ANYTHING is better than nothing!

Keep it Dark!

14. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i went to a local show last night, and i saw a band called "gold mine squad", the bassist was using a peavy bass, the older series firebass 700 and an ampeg 6x10 and it sounded really cool, very punchy and low sounding.

15. I've got a Firebass II. Had it for about a year. I really like it. It's not muddy at all. At least with my Ampeg cabinets it isn't. I bought if for outdoor use and find my self using it quite often indoors as well when we play at bigger places. My other gig head is an Ampeg SVT-III (older version of the SVT-3Pro). It only has 350W at 4ohms, about half the power of the Firebass.

My Firebass is a keeper. Had no problems with it and I run it with a 2ohm load outdoors. Everyone seems to be happy with my sound, including me.

16. Sammy: What settings do you use on your Firebass? I have one too. I'm running a Fender Jazz with it. I was just curious how you set yours up. Thanks!!

Russ.

17. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I've got the Firebass II and use it with an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF and I also add my single EV 15" to that set up. Thing is the EV is 8 ohms while the Ampeg 4 so there is a bit of an imbalance that's why I ordered a Carvin cast frame 15" @ 4 ohms to get the load down to 2 ohms so I can use Firebass' 700 watts.

18. That sounds great. Do you have the Carvin yet, or did you just order it? I was wondering how it sounds with the Firebass? Thinking about of getting one myself.

Russ.

19. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Hey Russ,

Just ordered it this past Sat. Should be here Thurs. or Fri.