Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey firebass 700 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kuntacore, Feb 26, 2001.

1. kuntacore

kuntacore

Feb 26, 2001
    i have a firebass 700 with 2 enclosures, a 115bx bw, and a 210tvx. i have a small problem of my amp switching off for a second or two when i turn the volume up to about 5 with the
    pregain at about 3 or 4 and when i play kinda hard. i use a compression pedal to help clipping, so the red light doesn't go on, it just switches off then on again when i play to loud. i was
    wondering what i could do about this because it kind of gets annoying like when im playing a show it will just randomly cut out if i have the volume up to that point. thanks.

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have a Firebass, and I had that problem on the first gig I used it. Ironic, since I bought it to replace an SWR WM 300 that would overheat and cut off far too often.

My solution: turn the amp down. The reason it is shutting off is that it is overheating. I never turn it up past 5 now on either the gain or the master. I also play kind of lightly.

If that isn't loud enough, you should start saving for a more efficient set of cabinets.

3. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Dont know anything about the Firebass but

a) does it have an internal fan that has broken down

or

b) if not could you use an external fan to cool down the heatsink.

An old PA that I used had this problem and it was solved by pointing an ordinary office fan at the back of it to cool it down.
    Also I think (I'm sure one of the more techie members could confirm it) you would have to make sure the total speaker ohmage isnt lower than the output ohmage of the amp. I believe this can cause cutouts too.