Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Firebass 700 vs. Ampeg B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fat jonny, Nov 25, 2001.

1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I am considering these two head but cant decide which one to get. The only thing keeping me from getting the Ampeg is that I dont know if it will be powerful enough. I am currently using a 300 watt peavey combo with a marshall 2x12 bass cab and i cant really get the volume i want without breaking up and getting a nasty sound. I am pretty sure my clean volume problems are because of my speakers but im not sure. I know the Firebass would have enough power and i like that it can run a 2ohm load however I dont really like the "blah" tone of my current peavey combo115 (I know that doesnt really say anything about the firebass but it still makes me nervous). Unfortunately i have no stores around me that have these so I could try them. Could anyone give me their opinions? thanks a lot!

2. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Peavy Firebass' are pretty nice amps (i played one in a music store). The variable mid-shift helps out alot in shaping your tone.

3. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    my friend plays thru a Firebass 700, peavey tvx 410, and peavey 15 cab with 300 watt JBL. it cuts thumps and makes your ears hurt. but in a good way. :D

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    There is basically no audible difference between 300 and 350 watts. Get the Peavey Firebass. It has a load of cool tone shaping features.