1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey FireBass 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by master5string, Jan 17, 2012.

1. master5string

master5string

Jan 17, 2012
    Hi all. ive had a peavey fire bass 700 and ive been using a 4x10 8ohm ashdown cab for about 6 years now and im realy still not getting the sound i want out of it so i have a few questions.

1. is it better to use 4ohm cabs for sound qaulity or 8ohm
    2. should i also use a 15" or 18" sub as well as the 4x10
    3. what is a good mixture of cabnets to use on these and ohm wise.

as you can tell im not much of a amp person more of a bass guitar person myself. thanks for any help you can offer.

2. The quality of the sound will not change from using either an 8 or 4 ohm cab. I believe the Firebass amps can run down to 2 ohms, so you can technically power three 8 ohm cabs, or two 4 ohm cabs, but you may want to check your owners manual to verify before trying.

I would suggest getting a matching 4X10 instead of a 15 or an 18 as those cabs won't be able to handle as much power as the 410 and will crap out way before the 410 will. If you do a search on mixing speaker sizes you'll find tons of useful information on the subject.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The Firebass has a built in crossover, so if you want to do the mixed cab thing, you can run an 18" sub from the low out and a guitar combo for the mids and highs, it should sound pretty awesome.

4. master5string

master5string

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks guys for the replys. yes my amp can use 2 ohms. im just unhappy with the sound im getting out of it perhaps i just need to mess with all the knobs on the amp lol. also let me get this strate if i use 2 4x10 boxes and they are 8ohms each doese that mean its using 4 ohms? im very confused as to how the ohms work with mixing speakers.

5. Different speaker cabinets will have different sounds too.

Mixing in other speakers (size and brand) isn't always going to have the best result.

And to an earlier poster, 4x 8ohm speakers give a 2 ohm load :)

What are you not happy about with your sound?

The bass is going to have an effect.
    The strings are going to have an effect.
    The amp is going to have an effect.
    The cabinet is going to have an effect.

One thing I used to get a bit more control and more tonal controls was adding a SansAmp BDDI. You could consider trying some preamps if you want to toy with different sounds :)

6. Two 8 ohm cabs = a 4 ohm load.

7. master5string

master5string

Jan 17, 2012
    cool thanks guys things make a bit more sence to me now. and now i can work on my sound and speaker cobos. thanks heaps.

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    you're probably 100% ok just using what you've got. I've never needed any more than what your rig should be providing.

9. johnmackay70

johnmackay70

Nov 9, 2006
    Download and read the firebass owners manual (you can find it with a quick web search)- it tells you how to shape the sound you want - it also has charts for how to set up a standard rock/jazz/country....setups if you don't want to do a lot of reading - great place to start. It is a great head, and it does really lend itself to running multiple cabs and the crossover does work well if you want to add a 18 or 15.

That being said, I am currently only running 1 4 ohm 2x10 cab and when I have the amp set up correctly, it sounds great.

I also have a line 6 bass pod xt live (had it before the head) used to use it to shape my sound - I no longer use it very often (unless I am doing something funky that requires delay or wah or something) because the head and my cab already have great tone

10. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I used to have a Max 700 (basically the last generation of the Firebass). I found my tone by adding a little compression and drive out front.

11. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    Older threat, but anyway.

Watch out for cabinets where speakers are in a serial / parallell configuration, many 8 ohm speakers are in such a configuration.
    It will make the speakers sound "floppy" because it have a negative effect on the systems damping factor.

12. Disagree. The speakers dont care how the elections are delivered. Their behavior has nothing to do with series/parallel wiring.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

What bass are you using? Pedals? Effects?