Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PEAVEY FIREBASS - Help please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Mar 15, 2005.

1. When running my Firebass at gig volume (gain/volume just under half) I notice the speaker protection light keeps turning red...
    Does this mean I'm pushing it too hard or, as a friend suggested, does it just indicate the speaker protection thingy kicking in? :confused:
    I'm always worried to go any louder in case I bugger it up :crying:

(incidentally I run it through a peavey 4x10 and use a sansamp bass compactor)

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The Deltabass (which I has as a backup) has the same basic preamp circuit but with a lower-powered 160 watt amplifier. It also has the DDT circuit.

Using it at about 5/5 like yours I noticed that the DDT protection light would come on intermittently during dynamic peaks (big pluck on E or B string). As I was only pushing 160 watts into a cab that claims 700 watts peak, I wasn't concerned at all.

I would think with the compressor, you wouldn't have that issue as much. I don't use a compressor at all.

I would suggest backing off either the contour control (which is a bass boost plus mid scoop) or tweaking back the bass control a tad.

Also, some claim that the DDT circuit is quite conservative and it comes on more often than it needs to. Others also claim that the sound is better with it out rather than in.

The audiophile snob in me tends to think that the latter is correct. With that cab, I'd tend to leave it off anyway. At the gain & volume levels you're using, I don't think you'll hurt it at all.

3. If you are using a peavey cab (4 ohm), remeber they are rated at 300 (or 400) watts, where-as the head is pumping 450 (i think) watts at

Do you have -10Db set as on or off (active or passive) ?

Either way, with the firebass ( into a 4ohm peavey cab) you are over powering slightly, since i started using my sansamp bassdriver it amplifies the preamp more so it clips more.

4. Just checked it out now, the head runs 475 watts at 4ohms, and the cab is only rated at 350 watts

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There's nothing wrong with that at all. I know guys who are putting "2000W" into 800W cabs. That's MAX output at that impedence, that does NOT mean you're actually putting that much wattage out.
    With that said...try these:
    -Don't boost your bass so much, that needlessly takes up more power, for very little gains. (mids are your friend...)
    -Turn down the gain just a bit (maybe closer to 9:30/10 o'clock) and turning the master up.
    -If the light's just flickering on strong notes, there's nothing wrong at all. Just the louder you turn the master up, the lesser strength notes will also cause it to turn on, and the strong notes will keep it on - see above suggestions to help prevent that.
    If it's a DDT light, that just means the protection circuit was engaged, no harm no foul. One way to tell if you're pushing something to hard is by what you're hearing. If you start getting noticable distortion 1) pray it's not too late and 2) see above suggestions on how to help prevent that.
    If nothing is helping, and you need more volume, or decide you don't want to push the amp that hard, it's time to consider a 2nd cab and/or a more powerful power amp. There's varying thoughts on TB as to which you should get, and doing a search will yield many topics on the ideas.
    Hope this has helped,

Ray

6. turn down the gain, turn up the master volume