Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Firebass II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been trying to budget out my money for the next few months. I know what the next big purchase I'll be making is. I'm wondering how much it should cost me to buy a Peavey Firebass II head and either a Peavey or Avatar 4x10. I figure it'll be one of the last major bass purchases for a while (I need to start saving for college).

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Are you planning on buying a new or used Firebass?

I've seen used white-faced Firebass heads sell for about $300.

Used Firebass II's usually sell for well under $400 (sometimes near $300).

And, in my area, I've seen new Firebass II's with a sale price of $525.

Note: Peavey is coming out with the new MAX series of amps. The MAX 700 is the same as the Firebass, but with a different look (much better IMO). If you're buying new, you may want to wait for the new MAX line to hit the Peavey dealer showrooms. You may be able to pick up a Firebass II at a blowout price, or get one of the new MAX 700's if you prefer.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Do you know when the Max's will be coming out? My early budgeting tells me that I wont have the money for a few months so that should give me some time to let the prices drop a bit. I'm not sure if I'm gonna go used or not with the head. It depends on what cab I get. If I get the Avatars, I think I'll go with a new one. If I get Peaveys, I'll try to find a used one.

4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The only info. that I saw on Peavey's website says, "The new Max Series bass amplifiers will be available in 2003 from Authorized Peavey Dealers."

Here's a link, if you want to see what they look like:

http://www.peavey.com/news/namm03_maxseries.cfm

5. I can't help but wonder if they're really new amps or just new graphics on older amps (FirebassII, NitroBass, and DeltaBass). The Max 700 looks to be simply a repackaged FirebassII. Time will tell.

I've got a FirebassII and I've been real happy with it to date. The only problem is its weight. It isn't exactly a lightweght. However, there are certainly heavier amps available, as well as lighter ones. For the money, it seemed to be best bang for the buck in higher wattage amps when I bought it a couple of years ago.

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The MAX series amps are the same as the FireBass, NitroBass, and DeltaBass, just with new cosmetics.

7. AH YES! The old BNG (bold new graphics) approach. Don't get me wrong. I like most Peavey equipment. But I really hate simple repackaging of old products and calling them new; and that's by anybody.

Oh well! The beat goes on, and on, and on.

8. Are these things flexible tonewise? I have a graphic EQ on my Combo 115 and it's my friend, but I'm a metaller first and foremost, so do I need that much flexibility? I know the Contour is a mid scoop, which will stay firmly off, but how is the overall tone of the amp?

It'll be joined to a Peavey 410TVX/210TVX and a 115BXBW.

9. dooberheim

dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Missouri
    They are pretty good. I rented a Firebass II stack (same cabs as you are talking about) for a couple of gigs before I got my Carvin, and they have a nice range of tones. What I didn't like about it was the DDT limiting. It seemed to suck out all of the dynamics to the point that I could actually play harder and the amp would sound like it was getting softer. I didn't want to turn it off because it was a rental rig (to protect the speakers), but if I had bought it I would probably have tried to use it without the DDT.

DK