Peavey Firebass/Max 700 cab suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jrock444, Jul 8, 2004.

1. jrock444

Jun 24, 2004
    Hi all,

I have recently decided on a used firebass and now i would like some input on what type of cabs to use with it. The firebass is 700W at 2 ohms, so I am looking for two 4 ohm cabs....I guess I should tell you what type of music they will be used for: I am in a system of a down tribute band, so it's fast rock in drop C tuning trying to cut through drums and a 100W marshall....oh and lots of screaming..heh

I have been trying to decide how I should have it: 2x10,4x10, or 2x12 on top and a 1x15, 1x18, or 2x15 on bottom. Any thoughts are appreciated, as well as specific reccomendations. I have checked out the avatars on some searches and they seem to be a good choice, but I believe the 1x15 only comes in 8 ohm....

Also, since I am playing in drop C tuning, will that cause me to need a bottom cab that is rated lower than normal? I'm not up to par on the whole Hz rating issue...I just know that a normal tuned E string is around 40 Hz. Not sure how big of an issue this should be in the choice of cabs.

Thanks for any help!!!! :D
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Drop C tunings= 1x18 cab. Ive played in drop C with a 15, and it began to fart on me, so if you can get your hands on an ya.

and just for a it of punch and some mids, go a 4x10 i reckon.

Ithink SWR make a 1x18, the goliath i think. im not sure about the frequency ratings, but all 18s are in the same boat pretty much.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    FYI, SWR's 18" speaker is the Big Ben. I'd disagree that lower tunings automatically mean larger speakers, however. It's part science, part art of speaker design, and part physics, but in my opinion total speaker area is generally more important than the size of one particular cabinet. If you're also playing what you refer to as "fast rock", the quicker the attack of a speaker might be in your interests, and thus a larger amount of smaller drivers might be a better idea.

But this is all IMO, so the best thing to do is get out there and try someone yourself. I'm thinking running at 2 ohms is a Bad Idea (TM) even if your head can handle it, but I'm hardly an expert on power issues so you might want to get more viewpoints on that.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you play really loud, get a pair of 4x10 that can handle low end (maybe used Aguilar GS410 or Eden D410XST...something like that...older MB Diesel 410 are killer if you could find some).

Or just get one Schroeder 410 or 21012 cab(
  5. An Avatar 212 and an Avatar 410 at 4 ohms each would give you good punch and the twelves go plenty low for drop tunings.A bunch of guys in my area use Peavey TVX 410s,810s and 210s and seem to get lots of low end on heavier music.We played a festival two weeks ago and about half the bands had Peavey cabinets and most the others had Edens or Hartkes.The Edens had more definition in the mids and lows but the Peaveys held their own.I use a pair of Avatar 112s with my Eden 210 and they work great with my low B string.
  6. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Bag End makes a 1x18 but all of their models are 8ohms i think.
  7. I'd personally go for the 1x18" and 4x10", although I know a nu-metal bassist who plays through a 4x12" Marshall cab that seriously pushes air right down to C.

If you've got the back/the money, 2 4x12" Peavey cabs would suit the Firebass incredibly well, masses of low end punch and speed. They are, however, big and heavy.