Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Firebass vs. SWR 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spyde223, Jun 13, 2001.

1. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I was looking into buying a used head and found these two for both 300. What would ya'll suggest.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I, personally, like the firebass better...

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never had the chance to play through the SWR, but I owned a Firebass for about a year. Only bad thing about is that I don't have it anymore. Plenty of power, and great tone. I ran it into a 4 ohm 810 cab and it rocked.

SOrry I can't help with the SWR.

4. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i played a firebass at samash a couple days ago. i was impressed. i like it. and i'm not usually a huge peavy fan, but i think they've improved their stuff over the years. i really like the swr though. i own an swr bass 750, and i just dig it.

swr 350 vs firebass...$300 either way...the firebass has more headroom, but the swr has a more 'signature' tone. if you can play both heads thru the same cabinet with your own bass at the store, that'd be ideal - then just follow your ears. if i had to pick, it'd be the swr because i just prefer that tone.

5. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    captain, we have a problem. the peavey is up in new york and i'm down in Texas. not sure where the SWR is. i can get both servied here so its all good. thanks for ya'lls replys. i should have a new firebass in about a week or so.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the tone of the SWR much much better, but i'm kinda biased.

jason

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Yeah... I reinstate my vote for the Firebass.

8. Personally, I'd go for the Peavey. I think SWR's have a very sterile sound, and the Peavey will probably give you less trouble. I know it's not cool to own a Peavey, but they make pretty good stuff these days.

9. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    i might want to add the peavey is the older white face plate model if that would change anything.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you're curious, goto www.peavey.com and post a message in their forum inquiring about it, they generally check the forum daily.

11. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    THe white and black version are nearly identical.
    I can't really even tell the difference. supposedly the tweaked something about the mids, but even peavey themselves say its a tiny differance and to buy which ever one you find. I think its more a cosmetic thing, because now all of peaveys amps are black and red like that.