Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Firebass vs. SWR Bass 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., Oct 29, 2000.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I currently have a Firebass head that I am quite happy with. However, I got a chance to play through an SWR 750 the other day, and am now considering dropping the bucks down for one. Part of the reason is that I want to go with a rack mount head, being I have a rack mount tuner and wireless unit. In case you haven't looked at my profile, I am playing through a Peavey 810 TX cab.
    I am just wondering if the SWR's are reliable and if there are any owners of them out there that can give me a little more info from their personal experiences with them.
    THanks
    Ryan

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    >>I am just wondering if the SWR's are reliable and if there are any owners of them out there that can give me a little more info from their personal experiences with them.

Are they reliable? Very much so. I own several SWR's, a WM 15, SM 400S and the 350 along with a Goliath II and a Big Ben. I'm quite happy with all of them. Never had a problem with any of them. If you liked the sound go for it. You'll not regret it.

3. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Well I just purchased a SWR bass 350 to replace a blown 300 watt Peavey digital powered bass head. And my only complaint towards the SWR is its nowhere near as loud as my Peavey was. At half valume the swr is about as loud as a 50 watt practice amp. If I turn it up to the valume I like the clip lights stay on? You have to punish the swr's to get in your face loud but the tone is okay. They kind of remind me of the Trace Elliot line fancy package weak power amp!
    I have complaints about Peavey also, but it's not the ability to get loud.

BTW I'm using a Warwick FNA 4 string and a SVT 410 cab.

4. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    I had a bass750 and besides not being loud enough had the displeasure of blowing my 2x15" cab up. Something on the circuit board popped off and sent DC current straight into the speakers and fried the coils. The output fuses don't prevent this and won't blow to save the cab. Mesa replaced my speakers for free but SWR said they wouldn't have replaced them anyway. But the strange thing is that they admitted that this was happening to a lot of the heads and that it had to do with the automated solder machines not using enough solder to keep the components on the board while under vibrations. And I had it in a rackmounted case. Needless to say I've gotten rid of the head and got a Mesa 400+ and have to say that it has a better sound than I ever got out of the SWR.