Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cronus, Dec 28, 2002.

1. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    im currently looking for some new bass amps, i was looking online at peavey amps. and i thought that the BAM210 combo looked nice, it gives out 350 watts i think. well i was thinking about trying to find a music store that had one of these. but what i want to know before i do is, are peavey amps good if you are going to be in a heavy ass or death metal band?

2. Peavey amps should be fine for pretty much any style of music, what I would make sure of is that you don't short change yourself on wattage.

Metal by default has loud, distorted guitars and usually a fairly hard hitting drumer (as I'm sure you know). I play in a thrash band myself and while 350 watts sounds like alot compared to the 100 watts that are common with guitarists it really dosen't give adequite headroom in my experience.

To give you an idea of what my bands layout is:

Rhythm Guitarist: Marshall JCM2000 (100 watts) thru a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab

Lead Guitarist: Mesa/Boogie Mark IV (85 watts) thru a Mesa/Boogie Rectofier Standard 4x12 Cab

Drummer: depending on the day either a DW 7 piece maple set or a 6 piece Tama Starclassic Maple Custom set. Zildjian Z custom cymbals.

....I had originally bought an Ampeg B2 Combo with 1x15 (200 watts at 8 ohms, 350 watts at 4ohms) and got totally burried in the mix.

I then stepped up to a Carvin R1000 stack, I figured 1000 watts will blow these guys away I'll only need to be on like 1.5.........wrong again, the wattage wasn't really enough to give me adequite headroom so while I could get plenty loud with the master volume on 5 or so, the amp constantly wanted to clip and fart and just sound altogether bad.

Finally I got fed up and decided I wasn't going to make the same mistake again and bought an Ampeg preamp, and an Ampeg SVT810E cab, but most important of all I got a QSC RMX2450, which briged mono into my cab gives me 2400 watts. Now I have plenty of headroom and life is peachy.

Sorry for the long post (if you even bothered to read it this far) but I didn't want you to have to go through the same headache as I did.