Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Forum AX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My friend just bought one in, and offered it to me for 275. I don't mind. It's a great bass. Does anyone have one or has anyone played one? When I saw it, I realized the things I could do with it. When I buy it, I'm going to remove the finish and stain the neck and body with a nice dark stain (and then gloss both, the neck is unfinished), get it a new preamp, new knobs, new tuners, stingray pickups (It looks like they could fit witih minor cosmedic alterations). Also, it's partially string thru (Kind of odd bridge), I'm going to find out if a hipshot tremelo would work. Any comments or suggestions?

2. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    A Forum AX!

My school has one, but I don't even think that they know it. It's been rotting away in a dressing room since I was a freshman (now senior). The electronics and/or wiring is jacked and won't work at all. I really can't say what it's like, except that it seems a bit heavy.

I know that I wouldn't pay $275 for the exact Forum AX I'm talking about...

If anyone has ever tried a WORKING one... please help out here

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    This wone works very well. It also has a sparkly gold finish. Reminds me of a flea bass. :p

4. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    That one I described is black with a black pickguard, and a gazillion scratches on the finish...

I wouldn't mind having it for free... I tried that but the music director said I couldn't. He told me that he would get it fixed over winter break... and he didn't. It's never going to get fixed.

I know absolutely nothing about fixing basses' electronics, but I wanted to make this my "project".

5. I have a plain ole forum I got off ebay for 100 bucks.

It had a weird horrid purple finish with colored spatters paint job which I stripped and then oiled the body. I didn't do a great job either, but at more than 12 inches aways it looks fine, well, apart from the knot on the back. Its a rustic bass ;-)
    Next time I'll do better.

Anyway, the neck is very nice: satin finish, thin jazz-style. Nut was set up well, and with some truss rod adjusting and decent strings it plays well with a nice bright open tone, as well as beef from the P pickup. I got the action pretty low.

Hardware is average. The AX should have better electronics. The stock pickups in mine are decent though (P/J).

Bridge is standard 'thin' vintage style (which isn;t a great thing imo).

275 might be a little much for a Forum AX, though if the hardware is better than the basic model then it might be worth it.

The basic model was around 400 list I think.

These are bargain workhorse basses.
    MM