1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey forum on craigslist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clutchcarter, Jan 26, 2012.

1. You handled Craigslist wrong

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Watch that bass not sell on ebay.

3. You should have tried negotiating by offering extra for shipping. I had a very good experience with a CL purchase. The seller negotiated a decent shipping price with me and I went for it.

As for the eBay posting, a seller is entitled to charge whatever he/she wishes.

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    and what's wrong with almost 90 to ship?

this guitar came to me in a huge box out of fear on the sellers part to insure it would be according to UPS guidelines in case it was damaged no hassle claim, and look what it cost the seller to ship it from CAL to PA. talk about sticker shock!!
    I gave him some cash back on top of the total so he wouldn't be burned, but people tend to think this is 1980 and it costs 15.00 to ship something across the USA still. :rollno:

IMAG0746.

5. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    How in the world is 21.90 lbs actual weight 111.0 lbs shipping weight?

6. cewillm

cewillm #1 Adam Clayton fan

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Righto, I used to always get burned HARD when I sold lower-end basses on the FS board here and on eBay. People don't realize that when you buy a bass for $250 shipped, I'm eating at least $100, if not $150, through packaging materials (including a gig bag) and UPS Ground shipping. I can't ask the buyer to pay for shipping or split it because at that low price point, s/he can just go buy a new bass for a couple bucks more.

I don't understand when people say it costs $40 to ship a bass cross-country via UPS or FedEx.

And when I use a local shipping place to pack and ship my bass, I'm looking at close to $175 for a full double-boxing with void filler, shipping, and insurance. This only makes sense when I'm dealing with an expensive bass.

After getting burned a few times I realized that it is just not worth trying to re-sell Squiers and other lower-end basses to people outside my metropolitan area. I just put them on Craigslist or hawk them off to friends for cheap.

7. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Over"long" package. (twss?)

When a package goes outside of their dimensions you get the lovely shipping weight bs. It could be a box of feathers 55" long and you'd still pay $100.

8. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    Size. Dimensions to be exact.

9. Please do my shipping - I'll gladly let you profit from $40

Don't bid if you don't want it

10. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If a box is over a certain size, UPS charges you not on the actual weight, but a predetermined weight based on the box size.

62"x27"x11" is an insanely big box. The shipper had only himself to blame for this.

11. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Not really... unless you're wrapping a gig bag in butcher paper you're going to be over the length of UPS' standard dimensions. To package something to their spec for insurance purposes you need to double box, void fill blah blah blah...

OH but you ship in a hardshell case? That's no guarantee against damage. Try getting a dime out of a carrier without meeting their criteria...

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Wouldn't it be cheaper and less risky to remove the neck of bolt on basses before shipping? Smaller package, less chance of damage. And if you can't put it back on yourself and set it up, I think the savings would cover the cost of having it done.

13. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    A bass in a standard hardshell case is 48"x15"x5" (appx). To exceed those dimensions by that much is tremendous overkill. I'm aware of the difficulties with dealing with insurance refunds from UPS, but there comes a point where, unless you're shipping a $5,000 guitar, you just have to take your chances.

14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Shipping damage is ridiculously overblown. UPS ships tens of thousands of guitars every year. If you take shipper malfeasance out of the picture, maybe .01% of them get damaged. Of course, the only UPS stories you hear about are those where the guitar arrives damaged. The 99.99% of successful shipping customers don't bother to say anything. As such, people get the false impression that UPS takes pride in smashing things.

15. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    and how you gonna do that on a neckthru.

or what about a door panel that weighs 10lbs but is off of a "whatever" year car that youve been looking for since 1990? it is not worth anything to anyone except you but to keep it protected you tell the seller to put it in a box that has AT LEAST 6" of foam surrounding it???

so now your 10.00 door panel is worth over 100!

16. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    hahaha the highvalue sheet you fill out is not for free either..go on the UPS site and calculate from CAL to NYC at 25lbs in a 52x18x8 box with 8grand of insurance and see the sticker shock surcharge.

my guitar that was sent was a neckthru and nothing to anyone but ME. it is not high value in any way BUT to me. This was a very special guitar and if it got broken I would be SOL and NEVER find another one. It arrived safely without a case embedded in a good 8" of foam and bubbblewrap.

so the 170 the guy paid up front I refunded him an amount that made him feel happy knowing that his merchandise was received as to MY PACKING instructions...he just never figured it to be that high.

( and let' us also not forget that ULINE sells boxes made to UPS TOS so you don't get burned out of a claim, and they are 15 bucks EACH )

17. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    $8grand????????? When you insure items at that rate, all bets are off.

What kind of instrument was this?

18. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    What part of "bolt on" did you not understand?
    None of your examples are relevant to OP's situation. We're talking about how to cheaply ship a cheap bolt on bass. Should we forget about disassembling them because it won't work for neck thrus?

19. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    why are you fighting and going WAY too far into this?

the simple answer on post #2 which would have closed all discussion is "you dont like the sellers ship charge don't bid"
    the guy on CL didnt want to ship it in the first place.

but then the discussion ensued with shipping costs when OP said almost 90 bucks for a 100 dollar guitar and he thinks that those prices are crazy.

and to the take the neck off idea....

ok maybe you can whip it together tune it up and play it with no hassles, and your knowledge would save you some money in shipping from a smaller box but for people who can't it is not an option.

my examples are to show you what it takes pricewise to have something packed to the BUYERS specs. If I wanted it shipped in a wood crate because I thought it would protect it, and the value of the crate-ship was 3x the cost of the unit, so what that's my problem.