Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Foundation 5-string for $250?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diewos, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Diewos

Diewos

Feb 27, 2003
    WI
    Is this a good deal? The guy says it's in great shape other than one scratch. Is it a decent upgrade from my Ibanez GSR200? Anything other comments?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Foundation is a solid made in USA bass. Definitely well worth that amount of money. I've read here that some prominent Nashville session players keep Foundations in the arsenals. I used to have a Dyna-Bass 5, which was essentially an upgraded Foundation with active EQ.

3. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    They show up all the time on ebay. I bought a nice four string with hard shell case for $200 plus shipping.

4. Because Peavey somehow seems to have a bad rep on basses (I have yet to play an awful one) resale value on them is awful. I bought a NOS Axcelerator 6 string for $275 with hard case!

It played and sounded great, worth MUCH more than that. I had a fretless Foundation for awhile, nice bass, good sound, wish I still had it!

Used Cirrus basses are IMHO the best buy in the bass world.

5. That's a good deal on a great sounding, American made bass. I say jump on it!

6. Diewos

Diewos

Feb 27, 2003
    WI
  7. The last edition of the U.S. made Foundation series (no longer produced) was called the Foundation 2000. In the Chicago area, there are two stores that have new ones (five stringers) still hanging on the wall. One is black with a maple board, the other is a beautiful gold with maple, kind of shoreline Fender-ish in approach. They're both tagged at $499-500.

I happened to be making my monthly music store rounds and decided to finally play one of these (the gold one) and was completely blown away! Very Jazz-like, with either both pickups full on, or soloing the bridge for Jaco-ness. Really nice sounding. And the B string is better than the one on my MusicMan SR5, I swear. Great for a 34" scale, or any for that matter. Just a very simple, good sounding instrument. The string spacing is a little tight over the pickups, but I could adjust myself. Sounds and feels way better than a passive Fender American Series Jazz 5 string

From what I've been able to gather from reviews and various posts around the 'Net, they shouldn't have stopped making them. I'm seriously considering trading in one of my less favorite axes on this one. If I could find one used in Chicago, I'd totally jump on it. So don't hesitate!

Whacker