1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavey foundation 5 VS SX SJB-75 4+1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Sep 20, 2008.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i might be crazy, but i´m getting my first 5 string bass and this 2 basses apeal to me. they are different, i realise, but both have nice reviews and are "inexpensive".

so the thing is, do i get the SX SJB-75 4+1 and spend the rest of the money in new pickups, bridge and shielding... (aprox up to 300$ including the bass)
    or do i wait untill a NICE peavey foundation 5 pops up in ebay and get it? i´ve heard great stuff about it, and i now is made in the usa... yet the looks apeal less to me....

so, what would you do? why?

2. I haven't had any experience with Peavey basses. They are few and far between here in Australia. I've owned an SX SJB-75 4+1 and it was a very good bass for the money. Obviously the two are going to sound pretty different. Have you played either?

The SX is $170, which leaves around $130 for mods. That will probably get you a better bridge, shielding, and maybe some good pickups (if you buy second hand). If you can be bothered putting the time and effort in you could come out with a very nice sounding bass.

Personally, that's the option I'd go with just because I'm familiar with SX basses and I know what I'd be getting myself into.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Go with a USA Peavey and you'll not have to mess with upgrading it. I bought two used USA Peaveys and couldn't be happier with them.
    fampic2008d.

4. What he said.....

My Peavey G-V bass is certainly on par with basses that cost a ton more. I wish I had a Modulus Q5 or Gould to compare it to, but I have a feeling it would do just fine. For about $1500 less!

I've owned many Peavey basses -- Cirrii, Milleniums, a Foundation, a T-45, a DynaBass. I've sold Peavey's too, but somehow I never seem to go very long without owning one. And they get played about as much as my high-end stuff does.

dcr

5. I bought a Peavey Foundation 5, off evil bay. Then, as now, I was shopping for a ash/maple Foundation 4. I just couldn't pass up purple metal flake/ lightly figured maple FB.

Peaveys give me GAS, SXs don't. IMO vintage USA > new foreign.

To be honest, my reasons, are mostly not logical. Still, the Peavey will hold its value. In fact, Peaveys seem to be appreciating noticeably these days. Your, modded SX, though a fine player, will not be worth close to what you spend. A used Peavey, with case, will be 5 to $20 more than one without a case. A case for an SX will be another $50.

I don't mean to dis Rondo. Their $50 fiddles are awful tempting.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

A used, modded SX can fetch a few dollars more than you paid for it because of the mods. But not a whole lot more. If you paid $170 for it new, you can probably safely ask $200 for it (even though you put another $150 or more into it).

7. Guess I'm missing your point here.

$170 new + $150 mods = $320
    you can safely ask $200 for it = $200

Asking price of $200 used < $320 you paid after mods. That looks like a loss of money to me.

Please explain.

dcr

8. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I'd take a Peavey over an SX any day. USA Peaveys are great basses. They're built like tanks. I've had my T-40 since 1979 (bought new) and it has stood up to many years of hard use.

Why buy something that you might have to upgrade to make it play or sound better when you could spend a small bit more and not have to upgrade it at all.

I've had a few SX basses and while they're not bad, they're not in the same league as Peavey. The SX's I owned were new and IMO, the pickups and electronics were the first things that would have to be changed. The tuning machines also seemed unstable. I've never encountered these problems with any US made Peavey.

9. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i guess the tempting things about the sx are:

- the looks (oh, man, BINDING!!!! BLOCK INLAYS!!!! :hyper:) while the peavey foundation looks aren´t killling me

- the fact i can have it in my door in about a week, who knows when will i get a peavey on the ebay...

- since im doing other orders form rondomusic, i´ll be saving some shipping costs (im a cheap bstrd)

- im used to jazz basses... :ninja:

on the other hand, i havent played any of these basses, im buying based only in specifications and feedback (mainly talkbass and harmony central), and i´ve buyed the wrong bass in the pass (oh, how i hate my PLYWOOD el-cheapo fretless bought over the internet). I guess i was expecting someone to tell me what i wanted to hear... "yeah, go ahead, sx 5 strings rule, forget about the peavey"... :bag:

but i thank you all for your opinions so far... and keep them coming!

10. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Peavey made other 5 stringers besides the Foundation, you might look into some of those also.

As far as looks go, what good are great looks if it isn't a great bass. It might be pretty good, but don't you want something that's going to last for a while?

In my experience, I can say I never regretted selling any of the SX's I owned, nor have I ever regretted buying any of the Peavey's I own. I would be broken hearted if I ever sold any of my Peavey's that I currently own, and regret selling the few that I did sell.

11. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's an SX. You're not going to get all your money back for it no matter how much you out into it. That's why it doesn't pay to go crazy with the mods, unless you don't plan on ever selling it.

Just because you put $300 into a $170 SX, doesn't mean you can sell it for $470. No one (in their right mind anyway) will pay that much for one.

Most people who buy an SX realize they are not going to get their money back on it. So it's best to just enjoy it and not worry about trying to make an investment out of it.

And this is just to (hopefully) whet your appetite:

SXSJB75LTD-1.

12. I don't think you buy either an SX or a Peavey for resale value. An SX is a good quality introductory bass that is easily modified using a multitude of available parts. The Peavey is a good quality mid to pro level bass that has better stock tolerances, but has less easily made mods because it doesn't use Fender shaped pickups. My choice is the Peavey. The Superferrites in earlier Foundations are great sounding pickups that don't need upgrading, and I would say the same about later model Peavey pickups, though they have slightly less output.

I am strictly a 4-string player, but my memory of 5-string foundations is that they had fairly tight string spacing. I don't know much about SX basses, but this could be an important issue to consider.

But remember, neither bass will have great resale value. They may both turn out to be great player's basses, but neither is an investment. Make your decision based on your needs and desires, not on someone's conceived future value.

13. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    I bought a new SX 5 string, changed the bridge, pickups and did a fret job. Good bass for the money but I sold it. The string spacing was super narrow at less than 16mm yet the neck was very chunky and looks like I'd been eating cheetos. Tonally it sounded like some Fenders do.

I bought a Peavey Foundation 2000 for $250 and it's one of my favorites and needs no mods to play and sound great. I changed the pickups for taste only. The originals were single coils and a bit aggressive for me.

With a little patience you can snag a fine Foundation off of eBay for 200-250 and that's what I'd recommend. There are some great bargain 5's from Peavey from the 80's and 90's.

I'd also add that the SX is much better if you like 4 strings, the 5 has the tiny spacing and they messed up placing the pickups. If you take the neck off you can see mine was made from a 4 string body they re routed for a wider neck.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sorry to be blunt.....

There is simply no comparison between the two. Would you rather have a used BMW 3 series or a brand new Hyundai accent?

15. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    The Hyundai, my friend is a BMW mechanic and I wouldn't want that headache or repair bill ;)

But I get your point :)

16. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    IMO the Peavey is a better deal and like someone else mentioned, there are other excellent Peavey 5's out there....

17. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    The Peavey Grind series is very good and you can get them in a neck through version.

18. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    so pretty much everybody thinks i should go for the usa peavey, huh?

19. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Well, ultimately, it's your choice. If it were me, there would be no thought involved, I'd go with the Peavey.

I don't buy basses for resale value, I buy them to use them. That said, I'd much rather be able to use it right out of the box and never be forced to modify it to make it better. With that said, like I stated before, with the SX basses I had, the pots felt flimsy and the pickups weren't that great. With the Peaveys, I didn't have to modify them at all.

Here's a nice Peavey. Granted, it's not a US made Peavey, but it's a great bass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Grind-Ba...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1,000! Peavey Foundations are first rate basses that have bad resale value. SX's are just cheap basses that look good and can be modded. In terms of sound and quality, Peavey is miles ahead of SX.