1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Foundation bridge questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kmon, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    sold my MIA Jazz, I just play my Peavey now :)

question for y'all...it's an 88, some of the saddle screws are stripped(so the hex wrench can't get a good grip). Anybody know of a replacement source off the top of your head?

Barring that, anybody know of any drop in replacement bridges for an 88 Foundation?

Thanks!

2. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    A true Peavey Foundation bridge pops up from time-to-time on eBay - I've missed 2 in the past 2 months.

If you don't get a drop-in replacement answer soon, you might want to PM Tim (MNAirHead) with your question. He and a few others (like SMCD) have quite a bit of US Peavey experience.

3. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    yeah I looked out there, not too many floating around I guess. Ideally I'd just replace the saddle screws, might poke around and see if I can find the size. I'll hit those guys up, thanks!

4. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    also, you might try using a small "ez-out" to get the stripped saddle screws out...then take them to a hardware store and get replacements.

You can find some miniature EZ-out sets at Auto supply stores.

5. An easier and cheaper way to get the screws out is to take the string off and if they aren't too tight, just unscrew them by hand, they're normally really easy to do.

Liam

6. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    yeah I think they'll come off by hand, it's not that I can't get it out of there, it's that I can't turn it with the hex wrench due to fact that it's stripped

7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Your local hardware store.

8. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    cool, thx, I'll take a look. I was assuming home depot wouldn't carry the tiny little screws but it'd be great if they did.

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Just take a sample with you. They're called "set screws".

Oh, when you get the replacements, also make sure you get the proper size hex wrench.

10. I always take them to a machine shop for 10 they'll swap the screws and throw in the correct Allen wrench

11. Most guitar techs will have a pile of set screws.

12. kmon

kmon

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Lowes had nada.

Home Depot has 6-32nd x 1/2in set screws that fit perfectly. They're in one of the drawers. They're a hair longer than the stock ones, but makes no difference.

Use a 1/16th hex wrench.

Thx for the info guys. I'm obsessed with string height and a perfect setup. I can now adjust my action to the nearest micron so i'm happy again.

:D