Peavey Foundation or SX Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Mar 14, 2005.

1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Help me decide, The Peavey is US made, but I've heard nothing but good things about the SX
  2. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Foundations are 1st class basses, with necks better than a J. SX's don't compare. I have SX's and have owned a Foundation. This is a no-brainer.
  3. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    anyonelse have an opinion....Please help
  4. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    If the Foundation has Super Ferrite pickups, than pick it DEFINITELY. I have a Peavey Dynabass that I put a Foundation neck on, and it's certainly very good quality.
  5. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Peavey all the way. Underrated basses, especially the USA models. And there necks are super comfy, kinda like the Fender Geddy Lee. I have an old Fury with the split P pickup and thought I prefer the chunky feel of my Fender P, I'm amazed at how good that bass sounds.
  6. I would not choose the 5 string SX no matter how cheap it was because I think that they use the same pick up for the neck and bridge, and since the strings fan out a bit they don`t match the pole pieces on the bridge pick up, and I mean that they aren`t even close. Go with the Peavey...
  7. Another vote for Peavey. I have two older model ('84, '88) Foundations and they are built rock-solid. The neck feels better to me than a Jazz, and while the PUPs don't quite match the Jazz sound, they are still decent performers and very versatile. You'll probably have to put with a few people sneering at the Peavey name, though.
  8. I too have owned both. The quality of the SX is just nowhere near a USA made Peavey. The neck was simply not adjustable enough to get decent action, the frets stuck out from the neck and the tone was so-so. A Peavey Foundation is on par with the better basses made, Fender etc. and in most cases better.

BTW, I have a Peavey Foundation 5 for sale in the GFS forum. Very nice bass, great sound, perfect neck.
  9. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    how much?
  10. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Foundations are great basses. I have a Foundation S and a Foundation fretless, both are great basses.
  11. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    bump for Bassdr....did you get my p.m.?