1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Foundation USA Best Bass for the $

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by waltwpowell, Oct 3, 2013.

1. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    SOLD $150

Used Peavey Foundation USA. This is the most under-rated bass ever. I've had $800-$1000 basses that didn't play or sound anywhere near as good. It's USA made has awesome soapbar pickups and a maple neck. It has some dents and dings you can see in the pics but it plays great. It would be great for a beginner but isn't beginner quality, I've played it on tour and in the studio.

PRICE DROP!!! $150 Shipped CONUS with a gig bag

Here are some video samples of the bass -

Attached Files:

2. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    More Pics

Attached Files:

3. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    One more pic

Attached Files:

4. while they look like side by side jazz pickups, these are actually single-coils. Great sounding and powerful singles coils, but definitely not humbuckers. I have four of these basses, and would put them against most jazz basses without reservation.

5. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    These don't look or sound like any Jazz Pup I've ever seen. You piqued my curiosity and since I have no idea what these pickups are, I decided to pop it open. They are not the super ferrites you see in a lot of foundations, they look more like VFL p/u's but this bass isn't active. I found some Foundation 2000's that have the same pickups but this one isn't a 2000. I looked up the serial # and it's a 1994 but that all I could find. I've attached some pics but I still don't know what they are. If they are singles they are weirdly big and deep. Any Peavey experts out there that have a definitive answer?

Attached Files:

6. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    More pup pics

Attached Files:

7. I'm positive they're single coils. If you were to rub some x-tra fine steel wool above them you would see the droppings follow a single straight line down the magnet located in the middle of the pickup(I have done this before). Of course it is a pain to clean up afterwards. While the casings are the same as later VFL's, they are very different pickups internally.

To be honest, if you solo either pickup anywhere near a computer or a fluorescent light you will hear single coil 60-cycle hum. Still just about my favorite bass, if I didn't already have 4 (including two black and maples) I would definitely be interested in yours.

8. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    Big Fat Price Drop!!!

9. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Love For The Foundation Bump! I have the fretless version of this model, and it's sweet! Also have an '83 which is simply amazing. This one shouldn't be here long!

10. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I have one too!!!!

11. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    Bump.

12. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i will take it. pm on the way.

13. waltwpowell

waltwpowell

Oct 19, 2009
    Kansas City
    Sale Pending

14. good move, and thank you. I have a car repair that almost had to be put on the backburner when I saw this pricedrop.

15. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    should be in my grubby lil hands manana hooray! btw if you have any more info on these non-vfl passive single coils i'm all ears, pm me. seems there's a real dearth of info out there. are they super ferrites in a different casing?

16. No they are a bit more Hi-Fi sounding than Superferrites. Not quite as aggressive but fuller sounding than typical jazz pickups. I find them the most flexible pickups I have used including the Barts I used to have in my Pj and my Jazz. Depending on what you are used to hearing they make take a little while to get used to, but don't be surprised if they work their way into first play position quickly. My pre-cbs jazz, my neck through pj, and my 80's Yamaha BB all look at my Foundations(5 currently) with loathing in their eyes. I play them that much.

Note: The "Superferrites in disguise" are the Transition pickups found in late 92-early 93 Foundations. These pickups had the same pickup surrounds as superferrites, and same sized, smooth topped covers that did away with the superferrite name and had peavey in the modern script on the bottom corner. I had a foundation with these pickups and a 91 foundation with superferrites. I could not descern any difference in tone between them. I also had one of my VFL style foundation. To my ears it was not as aggressive, but was cleaner and more full sounding then either of the other basses.

17. yodedude2

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    terrific, thanks for sharing!