Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I found a 1980's Peavey Foundation at a local GC yesterday for a song ($125). It is in good used condition except it needs a new tone pot. Those who are familiar with Foundations know they are passive basses with the classic Jazz style layout: two single coil pickups that hum canceled when run together. This bass is pink or salmon colored with a matching headstock. It has a nice maple fingerboard and the frets are still great after 20+ years. Even with the tone control stuck, this bass sounds great. This is a another case of getting a used USA Peavey at a great price. As you guys know, a new American made J-style bass with the overall build quality of a Peavey today would easily be in the $1,000+ ball park at a minimum. The slap tone is bright, to me it is close to Marcus territory. My question is did the Foundations have alder or ash bodies?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think alder.

3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I used to have an '86 Peavey Foundation in Candy Apple Red. Mine was Alder.

Great bass, I often regret selling it.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Definitely not ash, though they did use ash on the T40's, and they weighed a ton. I'm pretty sure it was alder on the Foundations, and the weight may be the reason why.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was checking out Harmony Central and I think the body is alder. I've run through a bunch of basses, but I may keep this one a while. I'll get the tone pot fixed and I am consdering gettting a Hipshot attached for dropping down to D. What do those run?

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I think they're around $80.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's cool. This means that after I get the new pot, Hipshot, and a setup, I will have a great sounding and playing J-style bass for around $250.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I think so. My USA Millennium JB Plus has one, and it's surprisingly useful. I never messed with one before. That bass just came standard with it, and it was on closeout at MF (huge megathread on that one), so I jumped on it.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just noticed that my Foundation has a bi-cut neck like a USA G&L! The level of work that went into the older American made Peaveys never ceases to amaze me. It is a real shame that so many players did not recognize the quality of these instruments. The tragedy is that unless something changes, there will never be another manufacturer that will produce such quality instruments at affordable prices in the United States again.:(

10. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Yeah the Foundations are very underrated and exceptional values. I own 4, 3 of which were rescued from ebay. Body wood might be poplar. Mine are maple and mahogany on the easily identifiable ones, possibly poplar on my fretless and my 5. Peavey has a forum where someone will look up your bass by serial # and tell you the ingredients.

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Foundation has been around for a while and went through a few changes over the years. I think the older ones are very likely alder. However over the last few domestic years, the Foundations were made with poplar bodies.

Its no secret here, old Peavey's have never gotten the respect they deserve. Bummer for Peavey, hurray for us though! Both guitars and basses, I always see amazing deals on old Peavey that new or old could have easily given Fender a run for its money but hey, it had Peavey on the headstock and just didn't move in Fender numbers. Oh well.

Advice, you see a sweet deal on an old Peavey bass or guitar, nab it. Remember when old G&Ls were dirt cheap? Then that Alice and Chains dude appeared in videos playing an old G&L and now the party is over. Give it enough time and you’ll see some popular young band come along playing an old Peavey and that will be it!

r

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know about the Foundations, but the Dyna-Bass of the same vintage had a Poplar body.

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah. Actually I think a number of Peavey basses and guitars over the last few years just before they started building overseas used poplar for their bodies. Prior to that, it was just alder and ash as far as I know. I guess poplar was plentiful and inexpensive at the time. I recall the Carvin catalogs from the late 80s and early 90s primarily used poplar for their guitar and bass bodies too. Now everyone uses alder again. Was there an alder famine during that period or something?

BTW, if you spot a Dyna-Bass with an oil finished koa body, nab it! I tried one in the early 90s and whoa...what a nice bass and I bet you can buy one for a song now. It smoked the old banana horned US Fender Jazz that was around at the time. And like a fool, I bought the Fender. Poor Peavey, superior quality; no respect.

r

14. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had a Foundation-S that was too darn nice to rip the frets outta so I did a level and dress on the frets and sold it to a bass player in need of an inexpensive but gigworthy instrument.

It is really nice that Peavey basses aren't "cool". It keeps the price down for folks that want cheap but playable basses. I have a Peavey G5 that truly is the "poor man's Modulus".

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    YES!!! So right!

r

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I own an '83 Foundation with the old Peavey Super Ferrite pickups...... it may be a touch on the bright side, but damn if its not a great bass. I play it on stage with my metal band, and really put the thing through its paces to say the least. Its never once let me down, and always sounds great. Hell, I used it on my last albums above 2 Cirrus' (one USA, one BXP).

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, I should have a Foundation S this Wednesday. It'll be my first one. Got it here at TB. I'll post a reveiw shortly after. If it's anything like my USA Millennium except 34" passive instead of 35" active, I'll be very happy.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you got the one off TB I think you got, it has different pickups from mine. They look like humbuckers. Mine are single coils which is why my Foundation has a strong Jazz Bass vibe.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    It's a P/J, and I don't think the J is humbucking. It's a "Foundation S". It's like this one, except black, and the pics look like it's in a bit better condition than this one, and has its OHSC (molded).

[​IMG]

20. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The pickup difference is Superferrite pickups( yay) vs regular EMG looking that are not humbuckers ( boo). Look for the superferrites, they sound like an overwound Jbass pickup. I have the other kind on a 5 string and they just don't sound as good.
    I paid less than $40 a string ,delivered for all my ebay peaveys. I still religiously check for them ( still looking for a rosewood neck) on evilbay. I wouldn't turn down the S model which has a PJ set of pickups. Love the sound, love the neck, love the sturdiness (like a Fender, real solid) of the Foundations.