1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavey foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RonChase, May 19, 2011.

1. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    What is the general consensus of the Peavey foundation?I dont put much stock in opinions but the guys on these pages are a wealth of knowledge and I respect the advice shared. I came into one with case and a brand new strap for 100 dollars it has 2 pickups that say peavey on them but they kind of resemble bartolini's.It has a couple chips but no dents or scratches and it seems to have relic'ed quite nice from white to cream,any info would be appreciated thanx:bassist:

2. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    My Foundation 5 is my #1 right now (and has been for a while now).....and it's not because I can't afford more expensive basses. ;)

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have had 2 older Peavey's and were great basses. You will see a wealth of info on this forum on the Foundation. Just search.

If I ever see a Foundation for $100 there will be no hesitation on grabbing it. Been keeping an eye out for a Foundation or Fury.

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    The general consensus, among those who like Peavey's, is that a Foundation with the Super Ferrite pickups is every bit as nice construction wise as most MIA Jazz basses and sounds like a more aggressive Jazz.

Does that sound right, folks?

blackandwhite likes this.
  5. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I have never had anything but nice things to say about American Peavey Basses. If the case is original, it's probably worth close to the hundred bucks alone - Unless it has some REAL neck or electronics issues, I would be all over it.

6. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I just picked up a Fury off the classifieds on here, one word "WOW", it puts some fenders I've played to shame.

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Yup. My next bass will be either a Peavey Foundation with the SF's or a Fury.

8. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    US Peavey's are an incredible deal and I have't really found one that I don't like yet.

I have an '86 Foundation with Super Ferrites. It is, as others have mentioned, on par with some MIA Fender Jazz basses.

I got rid of my Fender P, because it turned out that my '89 Peavey Fury is a better bass for me.

As also mentioned above, the case alone could be worth $100..
    Good luck

9. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Spot on. :cool:

People will judge based on the headstock, beware!!

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    I see it getting compared to a jazz. What about the sound of these guys? I was thinking it would be more of a p vibe no?

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1. I'd buy $100 Foundations with hsc all day, every day.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Foundations with Super Ferrite pickups certainly sound like Jazz Basses. Do a search of the TB classifieds or just Google so you will know what Super Ferrites look like. Go to YouTube and you will find some nice clips of Foundations being played.

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

$100 go for it... you can always throw it out if you don't like it...

Depending on the era, the parts may be worth more than the bass.

14. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Don't hesitate! Go get that bass. Best hundred bucks you will have ever spent on a bass, that's for sure!

15. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i just picked up another fury from bass emporium. it's a little older (script logo) and in absolute mint condition with OHSC. simply stunning. kills every single fender i've ever played. i'm not kidding. :bassist:

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    $100 with case and good frets, I'd definitely go for it.

Funny, I'm considering picking up one just because they are cheap and I'm insatiably curious about them, but I don't know if I'd go a great deal more than that. The hardware is Squier-grade and I'm not sure if they do anything that two or three or more of my other basses don't already do, possibly better. :confused:

At some point I'm going to have to stop buying basses because they're cheap and I'm curious about them. :meh:

17. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    i disagree about the hardware, at least on the 80's models. 90's models you are probably right. the neck and slender body style is what sold me on the fury.

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The ones I've seen tend to be '90s, with punch-out machines and a pretty cheap bridge.

I know there were a lot of variations in these and also a lot of misinformation and contradictions about these differences on the net. I did a search here and got nowhere on straightening that out, either. :meh:

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    It may be cheaper hardware on some of them but that doesn't mean they aren't solid and reliable.

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned two of them. One with the super ferrites (a 1983 model if I remember correctly), and one without. The one with the super ferrites sounded like a very aggressive jazz bass, and absolutely killed. I loved that bass. The one without the super ferrites... Well... It didn't last long.