1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Fury owners, need help, plz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott in Dallas, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I've got an original series Fury bass that I bought in 1985. I'm now basically restoring it to undo the terrible things I did to it in the 80's.

I have to put a new pickguard on it, and one of the guys I've talked to has three fury patterns, none of which have the slanted T-20 pickup hole on it. We also can't agree on the number of screw holes. I could only find two different Fury basses on their website, so what I need from those of you that don't mind helping is this:

The year of your Fury, the model listed, where it's made, the pickup config, and the number of perimeter screws in the pickguard. If it's got more than two knobs or if the jack is in an odd place that would be helpful, too.

At some point the Fury basses didn't have pickguards at all anymore. I'm not sure what year that was. Any info to fill in the gaps on that front would be welcome as well.

My Fury bass was made in '85, it's listed as a Fury on the headstock, it's made in USA, it has one T-20 style slanted Super Ferrite pickup with the thumbrest, and 12 screws.

I don't know if anyone else HAS a Peavey Fury, but I'm planning to share this information with any of the pickguard makers that would find it useful to save anyone in my place from having to do this again.

2. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Well this was spectacularly unsuccessful. That would explain why they had it wrong in their catalog all this time and never had a problem. Oh well, I'll spend the extra to send someone a tracing.

3. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300017.pdf

The 83 Fury owners manual with the slant pup configuration.

My 84 has the slant pup while the 92 has the split pup set.

http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301554.pdf

this is the 96 owners manual which shows the split humbucking pup config. It has a nice pic of the front of the bass showing the pickguard.

All the Furys were made in USA Mississpi up until the late 90's or 2000's.
    Early pre about 2000 are p style basses.

In the newer Fury's there are 4 5 and 6 string models.

You can go to the peavey site and post on the support forum and they should be able totell you more.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
  5. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Thanks for the replies.

I've already got the information from the owners manuals (I still have my original one), at least on the two models with pickguards. PH is actually the company that I'm talking to. Their Fury pattern with the slanted pickup shows only nine screw holes, and I'm not sure if that even exists, other than the fact that they have a pattern for it. Every 80's USA model Fury I've ever seen has 12 screw holes.

Pickguard Heaven has been awesome in their correspondence, answering all my questions, going and pulling patterns, sending emails back and forth. They said that they'd make a new pattern out of my pickguard and list it, so this was never really a big issue; I was just trying to get the extra information to find out what the 9-screw bass is. We originally had a miscommunication about the pickup configuration because the bass has a big pickup ring with a built in thumbrest that sits atop the pickguard. Because of that I didn't want to mention their name, implying that their price list is incorrect or incomplete, which appears never to have been the case. They actually have two separate patterns for the 90's model P-bass Furies in the catalog that I had just missed.

As I said earlier, I guess nobody with this bass has ever ordered a pickguard before, as Peavey referred me to PH. If anyone happens across this thread and has a Fury with the slanted pickup and nine screwholes on the plate, I'd love a picture and a description.

Thanks again.

6. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Sounds like yours is set up just like my 84. Some times you will find them on evil bay where people are parting out basses to try and make more money.

Just checked the T20 it's identical to the 84 Fury. 12 Screws there too.

7. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    I have a Fury, 1984 with the slanted pickup. It's got 12 holes. You didn't keep the pg you removed in the '80s, did you? Maybe it's hiding out in your family's basement somewhere.

8. Scott in Dallas

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    It's still on the bass. At one time it had striping tape like EVH on it which I strung out and then cut at the intersections with an exacto knife. I've spray painted it a couple of times and at some point I sprayed it with kind of a green fleckstone texture paint. It's also warped over the years, probably from humiliation. Were I to actually get all that paint stripped off it I'd have to deal with the knife gouges. It's just not worth trying to revive. I finally got all the blue stain out of the wood and put it back to the natural finish it had when I bought it. The pickguard is all that's left to do now.

9. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I also need this info.